Killing blue cloves with fluke tabs

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anybody have any experience with this. Its supposed to kill cloves, xenia, anthelia, and GSP without harm to any other corals. Im gonna give a trial run in a bucket later this week and go from there but these things gotta go. Let me know if you have any experience with this, I will update with my progress. Wish me luck.

OP
OP
Aquaph8

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Missy, trust me I would gladly bag them up but its pretty much everywhere. I loved them back when they only occupied one rock but they become a real eye sore when they control the whole tank. They even grow on top of algae.

cdness, hopefully I can report good news and you can pass it on.

cdness

2006 - Present
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I linked to your thread in our local forum redrivervalleyreefers.com. I hope that was ok?

I will be following along though and reporting back the results as there are multiple people with that issue in our local club and neighbor club.

bige

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know if it works but I would like to know. I have a ton of Xenia I need gone.

OP
OP
Aquaph8

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I talked to a very reputable guy tonight and he says it works so I'm pretty optimistic. I'll keep you guys posted.

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blue cloves? Is that Sansibia sp. ? I have a ton of them I knock them down with a toothbrush away from my sps. They have "nuked" a few sps colonies in my tank. If I keep them brushed back they don't cause any problems.

reeferman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pm Acroholic about it.he treated his tank with success and has sent me some tabs to treat mine,i just havent gotten around to it.it worked flawlessly for him.he has a thread on the other board about it with pics.google fluke tabs and blue cloves and it should pull up.his name is Acroporaddict on there i think.

emerald525

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will follow along. I don't have this problem but several local reefers do. The blue cloves are prettty until they overgrow everything.

OP
OP
Aquaph8

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pm Acroholic about it.he treated his tank with success and has sent me some tabs to treat mine,i just havent gotten around to it.it worked flawlessly for him.he has a thread on the other board about it with pics.google fluke tabs and blue cloves and it should pull up.his name is Acroporaddict on there i think.

That's where I got the idea, just being a chicken and wanted to get others thoughts on the subject.

MattL22

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a tooth brush every month just go too town on them but it's annoying and I always break some sps!! If this works I'd love too know!

OP
OP
Aquaph8

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a little test run on a rock in a bucket. I just used a little piece of one and dunked it for about 20 minutes just for fun. Today they look perfectly normal. Im gonna watch it for a couple days and see but I think next test will be stronger. :) Ill try to remember to take pics this time, Ha Ha.

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a little test run on a rock in a bucket. I just used a little piece of one and dunked it for about 20 minutes just for fun. Today they look perfectly normal. Im gonna watch it for a couple days and see but I think next test will be stronger. :) Ill try to remember to take pics this time, Ha Ha.

I'm pretty sure that it takes a few days before you would see results.

CJ

OP
OP
Aquaph8

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's an update: The first dip didn't work but I was messing around at that point and didn't remove carbon, GFO or even stop skimming when the rock was returned to the tank. So Im gonna do test 2 today. Im working on loading pictures as we speak and Ill explain what doing differently this time around as well.
Stay Tuned.

OP
OP
Aquaph8

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are the victims. Im going with two rocks with a good amount of cloves. These just happened to be easy to grab.

PICT0079.jpg

Im using a little plastic tank I had laying around, Im not sure how much water but I would imagine its close to about a gallon. I used about 1 full fluke tab crushed up and mixed really well in the water, so its a pretty strong dose. Im shooting for about a 30 minute dip this time around.

PICT0081.jpg

I have removed all carbon, Gfo and shut my skimmer down. I will report back with the results. Im hoping that the residual chemical will leach from the rock over the coarse of the nest few days and be enough to kill off the rest of the cloves in the tank but Ill settle for it killing just whats on these two rocks. Wish me luck.

I know there are other ways of doing this but this way is more fun so lets see how it goes.

OP
OP
Aquaph8

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Little update:

Those two rocks shown above are nice and clear. The residual chemical killed all the little xenia pests all over the tank too. All other blue cloves throughout the tank were uneffected, Ive moved forward with complete tank treatment now and Ill report back. The dose was 2 tabs crushed and mixed with RO water really well. The two test rocks also had a couple zoanthids and sponges as well and they were completely uneffected. Fish and all other corals so no sign of stress so far. Wish me luck on being rid of these things.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back