What is your favorite Salt mix?

What is your favorite salt mix?

• Total voters

Reef@holic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only tried a handful of those but so far red sea coral pro is my favorite! I used to use reef crystals before I got a batch with extremely high calcium content. I just tried using aqua vitro and that stuff is crazy... Anything that heats your water up that much, mixes cloudy as bleach water, and leaves burn marks on your hand from mixing is not going into my tank.

scooterc268

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red Sea Pro on my main and......

TopFin for my softie nanos. Yep that's right, cheap cheap cheap, no need for CA, Mg up keeps in those nanos

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

CherryCorals

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am loving The ESV Salt System. It is pricey, especially since the deal at Premium Aquatics is no longer. Despite the price I am super happy with the parameters. It mixes up crystal clear and I can mix exact batch amopunts for whatever my needs are and have it ready for the tank in an hour if my water is temp ready. I may never go back to the other salts :D.

+1, we use it exclusively at our warehouse and also at shows. We mix it fresh for shows and again its crystal clear and ready for use in less than an hour depending on temp. Best part is our corals are open and happy at the show and then those that come back home make the trip with little to no losses. Its pretty special stuff.

We bring it in by the skid since none has it here but at least you californians have Marine Depot to supply this fantastic salt.

myzislow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only tried a handful of those but so far red sea coral pro is my favorite! I used to use reef crystals before I got a batch with extremely high calcium content. I just tried using aqua vitro and that stuff is crazy... Anything that heats your water up that much, mixes cloudy as bleach water, and leaves burn marks on your hand from mixing is not going into my tank.
I've had pretty good luck using aqua-vitro salinity. It is pretty odd stuff, smells funny, mixes funny and did kind of burn my skin too. But my tank loves it and it's cheaply purchased locally. I can get 220g buckets for $65 out the door.

Cherub

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use salinity! I've used it for about 9 months I think? Gets most of my parameters where I want them. PH is kinda low compared to what i like so I add a touch of kalk when I mix. My tanks love it.

saltwaternoob

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use reef crystals I tried using red sea pro and didn't really like it. Most people I know use reef crystals so I stick with what works.

dsmhero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IORC only because I have yet found a need to buy anything else.

litenyaup

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aqua vitro is horrible!!! Does not disolve worth a dang. Gonna try redsea pro and if I don't like it I'm going back to reef crystals. Never really had an issue with it just want to see if I can get more from salt

OP
OP
LegoZ81

LegoZ81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef Crystals... $48 for a 200g box from DFS w/free shipping after I add a few other essentials
This is what I am kicking around going to at this point... I've used it in the past, not sure why I walked away from it...

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright guys, I cleaned this thread up. Opinions are welcomed but keep it friendly. Please let it go.

dknuckles

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm w/ these guys on the ESV!
After many buckets of RC having alk & Ca all over the place and not to mention the residual clay after mixing it. I had to make a change and after talking to Todd (more times than I can count) I decided to go ESV. To be honest I thought it was hype...until my 1st WC! Did a 80% WC and polyps never retracted! They just draped in their slime!!! It was the 1st time ever polyps did not stay retracted for @least an hour after WC.
Mixes crystal clear and as long as water to temp can mix and use within the hour.

Only drawback is the mixing, a real pain in the butt!!!!!

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the cal/alk levels running for the ESV?

kkiel02

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have tried many but keep coming back to Red Sea Coral Pro. The two I would like to still try are the Tropic Marin and esv brands.

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im a long time Reef Crystals user but I recently started going half tropic Marin half RC. I kept getting really high Alk readings with RC by its self. I got set in my ways and had a big jump right after a water change.

jonbar1

Growing Out
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a huge fan of ESV as well. I actually enjoy the weighing and mixing part, makes me feel like a mad scientist LOL

What are the cal/alk levels running for the ESV?

Depends on how much of each part you add. With ESV's directions I get around 9dKh and 440 calcium. I up the magnesium, part A, and part B a bit to get about 10.5 dKh and 500 calcium with 1400 magnsium at 1.025 @ 75 degrees. That saves me from having to dose throughout the week in my tank.

creefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm w/ these guys on the ESV!
After many buckets of RC having alk & Ca all over the place and not to mention the residual clay after mixing it. I had to make a change and after talking to Todd (more times than I can count) I decided to go ESV. To be honest I thought it was hype...until my 1st WC! Did a 80% WC and polyps never retracted! They just draped in their slime!!! It was the 1st time ever polyps did not stay retracted for @least an hour after WC.
Mixes crystal clear and as long as water to temp can mix and use within the hour.

Only drawback is the mixing, a real pain in the butt!!!!!

My experience as well. I was sick of inconsistency and unhappy livestock. I tried ESV based on a LFS recommendation and have not looked back. I love the stuff.

AJreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted for d&d but i am going to try red sea coral pro mixed with my current salt.
My d&d has been great but a always looking to tweak it to make the task respond better

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 140 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back