How important is good water flow in the reef?

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Tunze-6095.jpg

How important is good water flow in the reef? I mean really does it matter as much as people say it does?

reef life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a bare bottom system which allows me to use high flow. My tank works good with current pumps(High Flow) Just have to relocate certain corals that like it a little calmer.

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water flow is one of the most important factors for coral keeping. I went from a single koralia to two mp10s, them 2 mp40s and noticed a HUGE improvment in growth, color, and polyp extension. Random flow is the best for corals IME.

Zoanthkid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, no surface movement and you don't get air exchange and everything dies... is that important enough? Lol. Water movement is just as important as water quality imo... fromalmost any aspect, it has it's importance. From moving detritus off and away from corals and their surroundings, to supplying food, to the rate at which your tank can convert nutrients, it impacts the health and happiness of fish... it has an impact on everything. And from what I've read most of the owners of the most successful and nicest looking tanks hold flow as a higher priority than lighting.

Reefing8EZ

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What would be considered proper water flow rate? 50x?100x?
I have 2 mp10 in a 40breeder, should I have them both at 100%?
And what mode is best for them? Thanks!

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flow brings everything the coral needs to it and also takes away everything it doesn't need. For an animal that can't move to its food, flow is vital.

chort55

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flow brings everything the coral needs to it and also takes away everything it doesn't need. For an animal that can't move to its food, flow is vital.

Couldn't agree more!

Also, w/o flow water quality would also be very hard to maintain IMO as it would allow ALL detrius to fall to the bottom to break down and become excess nutrients, as well, and suppliments (dosing or from reactors) wouldn't be as useful either as their levels would be different throughout the tank more then w/ good flow.....

Chameleon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flow is very very important in my opinion. going from 25x to 75x greatly improved my coral color growth and such

mallorieGgator

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's very important I think. Look at the ocean. Even in calmer areas there is still water flowing through.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

aquatic Sasquatch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
chaos

water flow is very important in a reef aquarium but more importantly u want chaotic water flow. and now with power heads having different cycles( reef crest, pulse,etc..) its easier to accomplish.

k2parkstar

Z&P Snob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What would be considered proper water flow rate? 50x?100x?
I have 2 mp10 in a 40breeder, should I have them both at 100%?
And what mode is best for them? Thanks!

Depends on what your keeping. I don't see the need to have them at 100% though. Especially since you have two. Should be about 50-60% on each. I prefer the nutrient transport mode for my tank, also set up up to be anti-sync if you have wireless models. I've got a 45g cube by the way. Here's a link telling you about the different settings and how to program it. It's really easy. PM me if you have any trouble. I'll be glad to help. EcoSmart Modes | EcoTech Marine

Last edited:

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 111 87.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back