What salt are you using? (PLUS Recent Salt Study)

What brand of salt are you using? 2/14/08

• Instant Ocean

Votes: 203 20.2%
  • Reef Crystals

Votes: 320 31.9%
  • Coralife

Votes: 41 4.1%
  • Kent

Votes: 22 2.2%
  • Red Sea Coral Pro

Votes: 102 10.2%
  • Crystal Sea Marine Mix

Votes: 7 0.7%
  • Crystal Sea Bioassay

Votes: 3 0.3%
  • Marine Environment

Votes: 8 0.8%
  • Tropic Marine

Votes: 40 4.0%
  • Tropic Marine Pro Reef

Votes: 85 8.5%
  • Oceanic

Votes: 48 4.8%
  • Seachem Marine

Votes: 2 0.2%
  • Seachem Reef

Votes: 71 7.1%
  • MIX OF SALT BRANDS

Votes: 24 2.4%
  • Straight Ocean Water

Votes: 27 2.7%

• Total voters

Spazdad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm late here,

I started with rscp black bucket and now I'm on kent. I see similar results and I get a 200g box for 40$, I stopped using the black bucket because of price and the fact that its 175g at 1.023. I have a 500+ gallon system so water changes are not small.

Does anyone have a link to the results. The one posted is broken.

Rickyrooz

Acropora Nut
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i recently switched from Reef Crystals to ESV. I like having the ability to tweak my parameters and I never have the clay reside at the bottom of the trash can like I did with the Reef Crystals.

Reefltx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not on the list, but I'm using D-D H2Ocean Pro, switched from RC a few months ago. Honestly, can't tell the difference but my magnesium and Potassium is staying more in line. With RC, it was always low. Also, I find if you mix the salt cold and heat a few hrs before using there is no residue.

specvjeff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used Tropic Marin Pro Reef for a few years then switched to Red Sea Coral Pro. After a month and a half my tank started looking terrible. Cyanobacteria, and my corals started losing color and a couple died. I switched back to Tropic Marin and everything is going back to normal. It's weird. I can't explain why the salt would make that big of a difference bit it's the only thing that I changed. I'm a creature of habit when it comes to my reef tank. I only changed to save money, and it didn't work out so well.

Sent from my Kindle Fire HD using Tapatalk 2

Greenstreet.1

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ESV and love it just picked up a box. I have been using it for over a year now. Love the control it gives. And yes i read the new study. Never had a problem due to my salt all my inverts are fine have the same two shrimp from day one of setup. I will continue to use ESV

yellojello

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been using Instant Ocean and was going to switch because of high Alk. Finally tried muratic acid to lower alk and it's so easy. Gonna keep using IO and save some money.

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using Red Sea Coral Pro, but I may be switching when my current supply gets low because it's a little too pricey for my taste :/ I was thinking Seachem Reef looked good so I will most likely try it.

Electrobes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was using IO for the longest time, to which I would add Calcium, Mag, and Alkalinity until I got the levels I wanted. I switched to ESV because I liked the idea of specifying parameters... but it's more of a pain that I had hoped. Between the amount of space it takes up to store in my home, plus the time it takes to set up... I've now switched to Reef Crystals with no issues. ;)

Last edited:

gcrawford

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use Red Sea Coral Pro for two years with little success. Now I use IO and have a calcium reactor which has everything growing like weeds. The savings in salt $$ is paying for the reactor. I love this hobby......

captainsaquarium

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use RC but I add some elements to it. I primarily use it because it's easy to find if I run low. The whole running up to petsmart to grab a bag if needed is a big plus.

LarryC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Used IO Reef Crystals and Tropic Marine Pro Reef for years. Switched over to Kent about 3 years ago. Works perfectly, and I like the convenience of the 50 gal jug for $15 at Drs F&S.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back