What salt are you using? (PLUS Recent Salt Study)

What brand of salt are you using? 2/14/08

• Instant Ocean

Votes: 203 20.2%
  • Reef Crystals

Votes: 320 31.9%
  • Coralife

Votes: 41 4.1%
  • Kent

Votes: 22 2.2%
  • Red Sea Coral Pro

Votes: 102 10.2%
  • Crystal Sea Marine Mix

Votes: 7 0.7%
  • Crystal Sea Bioassay

Votes: 3 0.3%
  • Marine Environment

Votes: 8 0.8%
  • Tropic Marine

Votes: 40 4.0%
  • Tropic Marine Pro Reef

Votes: 85 8.5%
  • Oceanic

Votes: 48 4.8%
  • Seachem Marine

Votes: 2 0.2%
  • Seachem Reef

Votes: 71 7.1%
  • MIX OF SALT BRANDS

Votes: 24 2.4%
  • Straight Ocean Water

Votes: 27 2.7%

• Total voters

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Weetabix7, I got a bad batch that had high alkalinity.

Was it through out the whole bucket? One of the things I do when I get buckets and or bag is mix up the salt before I use it just in case there is some settling of sorts. That goes for any brand I have ever used.....I have always wondered if the salt is broke down like this- each particle of salt has everything in it or if it is just a mixture of minerals that get blended and then poured into a bucket or bag. If each particle of salt had 100% of the minerals and elements it wouldn't matter. But if it is just a mixture of minerals and elements then I can see where the parameters could change from each batch of new water mixed from it. That is one of the reasons I mix up the salt before I use it cause I don't know and I'm not going to take a chance.....

msman825

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you should have ask how long you mix your new saltwater before adding or testing. I found this a big factor

J. Montgomery

Mouth Pipetting
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Each grain in a salt mixture could be a different type of salt (sodium chloride, calcium chloride, etc . . . ), as opposed to each grain containing every element. Since the different salts have different weights, grain size, and density, they can stratify into different layers (like the biggest and heaviest settling to the bottom).

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Each grain in a salt mixture could be a different type of salt (sodium chloride, calcium chloride, etc . . . ), as opposed to each grain containing every element. Since the different salts have different weights, grain size, and density, they can stratify into different layers (like the biggest and heaviest settling to the bottom).

You said it much better then I did JM.......That is exactly what I was getting at....

CherryCorals

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I check out a tank on zeovit.com, I believe it was the tank of the month.

The owner of the tank actually mixed 5 different types of salt for every water change.

It was a really sweet tank, maybe this is a good idea?

msman825

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
[/B]msman825, I mix my saltwater for three days before I perform a water change.[/QUOTE] I was not perfering too you are any certain one

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Azurel, yes I went through half of the bucket (3 water changes) and all had bad values.

msman825, I mix my saltwater for three days before I perform a water change.

That sucks I had the same thing happen with Reef Crystals about 1 1/2 years ago lost about $600 of livestock(corals and fish).

salt newbie01

CRC Flunky
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They can test all they want, but if your salt is giving you the results your looking for and have not had any issues then it don't matter much. I have used Reef Crystals and Tropic Marin, Oceanic, IO, and Red Sea Pro all of which gave me results but I have stuck with Red Sea Pro just because of the tests I have done over batch to batch of new mixed water to 1.026 and all have been around proper parameters without having to add any supplements to make up for deficiencies. But like I said if what you are using is working and you tank is doing great it don't matter what the test results are, why fix it if it ain't broke? I am always leery of these types of test because we on the demand side never know if it was done to push a specific product or done in the manner of open transparency. I find it hard to think that a company would spend the cash just to test some salt and spend capital just because some folks on a reef forum wanted it done. Now if was an independent test for results to show only and specifically the differences between salts so the manufacturers can make the products better and closer to natural ocean parameters then that is one thing but how are the people who do the test going to recoup the capital spent?......Someone paid for it for sure but who? and what was their point of doing so? I would be more impressed if it was done or requested by the National Public Aquarium Association for the purposes of them finding out what would be best to use in their public displays. But as we know there are some that use IO specifically and we can see the results they get with it. Of course they have huge equipment as well and I'm sure add supplements to the water as well. So in the end will these test really change anything?

Nope proabably not....

Very well said!
I have used oceanic for 2 years now and (knocking on a lot of wood!!LOL!!) have not had any problems. I do try my best to mix up my bucket before using it to make sure it is all mixed properly. I also mix water and hold it for 48-72 hours before using it. Keeping it circulating and up to temp. My only complaint about it is the low alk. I go back and forth dosing with cheap ol' arm & hammer and seachem alk booster. So far it is working great for me, so I am under the saying don't fix what ain't broken. I am however always looking for another salt to use if something happens with oceanic - so I love threads like this. It gives a lot of good information to read everyone's personal experiance with all the diff salts. Instead of some company that has other motives other than just sharing knowledge and information.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Right, I mean, do we really care about 20ppm differences in Calcium? I mean I can see issues with outliers, but IIRC, most of the salts were in line with each other, beyond Seachem having an issue with Ammonia.

Exactly... I never understood why reef hobbiests obsess over stuff like this. The only thing I really care about is that they do not add anything bad.

Most people do what a 5 to 15 percent watter change a month. That means it does almost nothing to alter the affects of your tank.

Is 20 ppm more calcium going to mean you do not have to add calcium to your tank? No. Unless you do water changes everyday you still are going to have to keep up on alk, calcium and magnesium.

I test every new bucket I get and adjust anyway if one is way out of wack. Even same brand of salt vary from bucket to bucket and most salt companies change formulas with out saying a word.

Allot of the salts are made by the same company. Also it is no mystery what elements are in salt water. Salt mix is not to hard to make with Pharmaceutical supplies. I know a while back there was a recipie on rc on salt mixing. Just what these companies do.

I prefer my salt to be as close to NSW as Possible. I ussually buy a name brand salt that is the cheapest.

right now I am starting To use the new Tunze reef salt and before that redsea. The only salt I really will not use is coral life, that is the salt that taught me the lesson test every new bucket.

Dave

Last edited:

bamachamp92

WIL E. COYOTE SUPERGENIUS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I Just Mixed Up 100 Gallons Of Tropic Marin The Results Were

Ph 8.2
Dkh 9
Calcium 426
Mag 1280
Phos .05

How Are We Supposed To Keep Phos Under .02 If Fresh Mixed Water Is .05

J. Montgomery

Mouth Pipetting
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe a dumb question but based only on the test what is the best salt?
My analysis of the results reveal that this comparison of salts is junk science. You'll get good results with any of the major brands of salt. Just pick a salt based on your preferences (cost, how easy can you get it, do you like the chemical levels, etc . . . ) and make it work!

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My analysis of the results reveal that this comparison of salts is junk science. You'll get good results with any of the major brands of salt. Just pick a salt based on your preferences (cost, how easy can you get it, do you like the chemical levels, etc . . . ) and make it work!

I agree.. I have actually been living the last couple years on salts I have got for free...

Dave

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

I honestly agree with this as well...

fade2black

Is this thing on?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, free is best. :) Next would be whatever works for you. I completely agree that sometimes we "over-complicate" this hobby by analyzing everything to death. Sometimes it is a good thing and progress is made, other times it seems completely futile. IMO, I have used IO forever and it has always worked for me, so why change? The test was good info, but nothing that would make me change. It is ain't broke, don't fix it.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ok now I am using a Oceanic and Instant Ocean MIX!

Back