View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

DECEMBER REEF OF THE MONTH

REEF AQUARIUM of Keith Berkelhamer
nov132010tankpic1a.jpg

Introduction:
My father indirectly planted the reef keeping bug inside me when I was a youngster. He kept a couple of rather large saltwater tanks when I was a kid, and I fondly remember accompanying him on many trips to the fish store. He did get back into the hobby for a few years after my obsession took off but now is tank free, although he is always willing to join me every now and then on my jaunts to the fish store.

I actually didn't have a tank to call my own until I graduated college and was working in the "real world". It all began so innocently at a New York City street fair called the San Genaro Festival, where I won a goldfish. It was amazing that I even got the fish home since my future bride and I had celebrated rather excessively that night. The tiny bowl that came with the fish made me feel sorry for the critter, so I decided to go out and buy him (or was it her?) a more suitable home: a one or two gallon tank. I believe that fish lasted two weeks or so.

Despite the bad experience, I was hooked, and I guess you could say that it was all downhill from there. I went from owning a 29 gallon fresh water aquarium with many fish and live plants, to a 90 gallon acrylic tank. The 90, which replaced the 29, was my first reef tank. I eventually replaced the 90 with a 120 gallon reef that was wet for a few years. I broke the 120 down and took a 2½ year hiatus before setting up my current 225 gallon tank. I have now been a "ReefBum" for approximately 15 years.

april2410tankpic28a.jpg

april2410tankpic31a.jpg

jan3110tankpic23a.jpg

nov132010tankpic6a.jpg

etankapril0107pic4a.jpg

etankapril0107pic5.jpg

midsc02972%5B2%5D.jpg

esep0207tankpic8a.jpg

esep0207tankpic11a.jpg

System Profile:

· Main tank - Custom made 225 gallon starphire tank (72â€L X 30â€W X 24â€T) from Aquarium Obsessed with euro bracing and external overflows.
· Stand - Custom made wood stand (74â€L X 32â€W X 33â€T) from Greenwich Aquaria
· Sump - Custom made 90 gallon acrylic sump (36â€L X 24â€W X 24â€T) from Greenwich Aquaria
· Frag Tank – Custom made 45 gallon acrylic tank (36â€L X 24â€W X 12â€T) from Greenwich Aquaria
· Lighting - Main Tank has a 6' Sfiligoi light fixture with 3 SE 400W bulbs and 8 39W T5s. Halides (driven by Sunlight Supply Blue Wave 7 HQI ballasts) are 20K Radiums while T5s are Giesemann POWERCHROME Actinic Plus. Frag tank has one 20K Radium driven by a Sunlight Supply Blue Wave 7 HQI ballast.
· Skimmer – 50†dual beckett protein skimmer from Marine Technical Concepts (HSA-3000).
· Water Circulation – Return pumps: Two Blueline 70s; In tank circulation: Two Tunze 6200s with Tunze 7095 Multicontroler, One Ecotech Marine MP40
· Reactors - Carbon Reactor: Precision Marine Substrate Reactor - SR35, Phosphate Reactor: Precision Marine Substrate Reactor - SR35
· Ca/Alk Supplementation - Calcium Reactor: Marine Technical Concepts Dual Chamber PROCAL, Kalk Reactor: Precision Marine KR620
· Auto Top-Off – LiterMeter 3
· RO/DI - Spectrapure MAXCAP RO/DI 5 Stage unit
· Chiller - Tradewind 1/2 HP
· Heaters - Two 500-watt titanium heaters
· Controllers – Neptune AC3, Two Ranco electronic controllers
· Generator - Guardian 18kw Generator (full house backup)

Filtration:

The biological bed consists of 200 lbs. of live rock (Tonga) and 100 lbs of live aragonite reef sand. Mechanical filtration consists of two filter bags, which catch the water before it enters the sump, and a large sponge wedged neatly into a baffle in the sump. Activated carbon in a Precision Marine substrate reactor keeps the water crystal clear and an identical unit is used as a phosphate reactor to keep nuisance algae at bay. The protein skimmer does a great job removing organic material.

eep0207tankpic6a.jpg

eep0207tankpic7a.jpg

esep0207tankpic9a.jpg

esep0207tankpic12a.jpg

esupportbeamsfeb07pic2.jpg

Lighting:

I have been running 400W 20K Radiums off of HQI ballasts for years and have achieved fantastic colors and incredible growth. These bulbs rock! The Actinic Plus T5s add a nice blue tint and really make the corals pop.
Photo Period
11:00 a.m.: T5s On
12:30 p.m.: Metal Halides On
9:30 p.m.: Metal Halides Off
10:00 p.m.: T5s Off

Water Circulation:

Flow comes from two main sources: the return pumps and two Tunze 6200s with a Tunze 7095 multicontroller. Despite being downstairs, the return pumps are powerful so I use ball valves to throttle them back a bit. An Ocean Motions dual flex valve splits the stream for each return.

The Tunze pumps are positioned in the back corners facing one another along the back panel. This was part of my design to have an open channel in the back of the tank to allow for more circulation. A controller has the Tunze pumps operating on different intervals to create a nice random surge within the tank.

An Ecotech Marine MP40 was added a couple of years ago to compensate for the decline inflow due to coral growth.[I don’t know the turn-over rate for entire tank]

Maintenance:

I perform a 30-gallon water change every week using ESV salt. Additionally, each week the sponge in the sump is rinsed clean and the sump filter bags are cleaned in the washing machine (of course, no soap is used). Every week I clean the skimmer collection cup and empty the waste cup. The becketts on the skimmer are cleaned every three months.
Every day I use magnets to clean algae from the front and sides of the tank and a scraper every other day to keep the back panel clean. All coralline algae that is missed from my regular scraping routine is removed every three months from the glass and back panel of the tank.

I calibrate my pH monitor every month and I clean my Tunze pumps in hot water and vinegar every three months. The return and skimmer pumps are serviced on an annual basis. I test weekly for dKH using a Salifert test kit. Salifert Calcium, Magnesium, and Nitrate test kits are used on a monthly basis. Phosphate is tested on occasion.
Kalkwasser is changed out every three weeks while the carbon is replaced every four weeks. Phosphate remover is switched out every six weeks.
Feeding/Supplements

The fish are fed daily with two cubes of frozen Mysis shrimp and one Spirulina Brine cube. I put these into a cup of tank water along with some frozen Cyclopeeze and Tropic Marin Pro-Coral Zooplankton and feed it to the tank with a turkey baster. I also add in a teaspoon each of Reef Nutrition’s Roti Feast and Oyster Feast. Pellets are fed on occasion. Kent Marine Lugol’s solution is added once a week.

Livestock:

nov132010tankpic24a.jpg

jan3110tankpic11a.jpg

sept042010tankpic4a.jpg

nov132010tankpic22a.jpg

sep092009tankpic11a.jpg

Stony Corals:
Acropora echinata "ORA Hawkins"
Acropora granulosa
Acropora hyacinthus (red)
Acropora millepora (purple)
Acropora sp. "Atlantis Tri-color Bonsai"
Acropora sp. "Aqua Teal Stag"
Acropora sp. "ORA Borealis"
Acropora sp. "ORA Pearlberry"
Acropora sp. "ORA Purple Plasma"
Acropora sp. "ORA Red Planet"
Acropora sp. "Purple Monster"
Acropora sp. (lime green table)
Acropora sp. “Lokaniâ€
Acropora tortuosa "Oregon Blue Tort"
Acropora tortuosa "Purple Cali Tort"
Acropora tortuosa (yellow)
Acropora Turaki (blue)
Acropora Yongei "Green Bali Slimer"
M. capricornis (green with purple rim)
M. capricornis (orange)
M. digitata (orange)
M. setosa (orange encrusting)
M. denae (rainbow encrusting)
Pocillopora sp. (pink)
Seriatopora sp. (pink)
Stylophora sp. (green)
Stylophora sp. (pink)

jan1910tankpic20a.jpg

jan2010tankpic29a.jpg

jan2610tankpic7a.jpg

mijan2409tankpic14a.jpg

aug152010tankpic13a.jpg

Fish:

True Percula Clownfish (mated pair)
Borbonius Anthias
Lyretail Anthias (6)
Bartlett Anthias
Green Chromis (5)
Leopard Wrasse (black spotted)
African Leopard Wrasse
Bellus Angelfish (female)
Bangai Cardinal Fish (2)
Regal Anglefish (yellow-belly)
Multibarred Anglefish
Flame Hawk
Pyramid Butterflyfish (3)
Black Tang

Words of Wisdom:

Proper Calcium and Alkalinity supplementation as well as strong lighting have always been key ingredients to my success. Additionally, I believe in high import/export of nutrients via large water changes, heavy skimming and heavy feeding of fish and corals.

Every tank differs, so it does take time to find that balance between removing the right amount of waste and feeding the tank. I advocate keeping a slightly “dirty†tank (slightly detectable nitrates and phosphates) vs. one that is sterile (0 nitrates and phosphates) so being a bit heavier on the import side seems to work for me. Faded, less colorful corals can be an indication that corals are starving from too much nutrient export.

I also believe that stability is another very important factor in keeping a successful reef. I personally have a hard time with change and corals are the same way. “Stable†is defined in the dictionary as “firmly established, fixed, steadfast, not changing or fluctuating, unvarying, permanent, enduringâ€. For reef keeping, this text book definition applies to such parameters as salinity, nitrate, magnesium, and calcium. And perhaps most important in my book for SPS is keeping alkalinity at a consistent level. My tank is happiest when alkalinity is in a certain range, but doing so on a consistent, stable basis is just as important. I do everything I can to keep this parameter rock solid and not let it swing significantly over a short period of time.

Last but not least on my list is maintenance. I can’t stress how important it is to have a regular routine to keep on top of those water changes, check parameters, and perform any necessary maintenance on equipment. Keeping and maintaining SPS in a reef is a lot of work, but putting the necessary time in can reap substantial rewards.

fjan012009tankpic12a.jpg

fsep1308tankpic15a.jpg

fjan012009tankpic17a.jpg

fdec2307tankpic17a.jpg

fjan2409tankpic6a.jpg

july132009tankpic6a.jpg

july132009tankpic7a.jpg

fdec202008tankpic5a.jpg

july132009tankpic4a.jpg

Congrats Keith!

You can visit Keith's site dedicated to his incredible tank and setup @ reefbum.com

Last edited by a moderator:

FishLipz

Cheap and Easy Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dude, I've always loved your tank since the first time I read the write up on it. Well deserved!!

SaraB

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats Keith! Your system is stunning and an inspiration to those wanting to keep SPS!

gar732

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks great in the pics and even better in person. This tank is amazing, congrats Keith!

Brad Syphus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very Beautiful. I love your fish selection, not to mention all of your stunning coral.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Awesome reef!!! Thank you so much for sharing this with us!!

swannyson7

Moderator/Acro Aficianado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats Keith! By far the nicest tank I've ever had the pleasure of seeing up close!

Wy Renegade

Zs and Ps/PE collector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely incredible! Definitely an inspiration and well deserved - thanks for sharing.

mbattles22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think your tank is what most people who start in this hobby are aiming for! Amazing....thanks for sharing.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 65 37.1%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.3%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back