Tropic marin pro reef vs. bioactif

childress5tyler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For all the salt and reef chemistry experts out there, what is the difference between tropic Marin's pro reef and tropic Marin's bio-Actif?

OP
OP
childress5tyler

childress5tyler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bioactif description

Tropic Marin is introducing another salt mix onto the market with their BIO-ACTIF salt mix. This new synthetic salt is said to promote growth of bioactive substances and provide protection for the mucous membrane of aquarium fish, thereby making your livestock healthier. Corals are affected as well, displaying brighter colors and opening their polyps more.

While making livestock healthier, BIO-ACTIF also promotes the breakdown of pollutants and excess nutrients in the water, leading to superb water clarity. Tropic Marin suggests to perform weekly 15% water changes with this salt mix in order to maximize its effectiveness and promote the breakdown of unwanted “pollutants”.

Below is a list of all of the benefits seen when using Tropic Marin BIO-ACTIF sea salt:

Rapid success in coral growth, even for beginners.
Advanced reef aquarists can grow even very challenging and delicate species which have always been regarded as impossible to keep.
Corals which once seemed incompatible because of their different demands in terms of care can be cared for together, with all species enjoying good growth and ideal conditions. Small polyp and large polyp stony corals can be kept together with leather corals, for example, without their combined care being detrimental to either group.
The low-nutrient environment also allows sponges and complex higher-order algae to grow without running wild, adding their own natural and authentic touch to the indoor reef.
Active control of the pH and carbonate hardness is conducive to the sustained growth of corals, calcareous red algae and other calcifying organisms.
Skimming action for the elimination of contaminants and suspended matter provides a permanent solution to cloudiness, allowing the reef aquarium to shine in full clarity in the most vibrant colours.

OP
OP
childress5tyler

childress5tyler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Listed below is expected results of various salts. Pro reef is on this list, but Bioactif is not

Attachments

• image-1847036594.jpg
    image-1847036594.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 2,322

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like all marketing fluff in that quote above about the BioActif...selling it like snake oil instead of salt mix IMO. An apparent inability to claim clearly and understandably what a product like this does/why it exists makes me leery. Why come out with a new product if you can't do that...at least that's my thinking.

I can tell you that IMO, Pro Reef is ironically named and inappropriate for most reefers due to it's very-high calcium level combined with extremely low alkalinity.

Personally I would steer clear of both. Use garden veriety Tropic Marin if that's your preferred brand. Otherwise I'd recommend Instant Ocean....Reef Crystals if you're keeping stony corals.

Sorry I couldn't provide more info!

-Matt

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

YVR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using TM Bio Actif for a little over a year in my 90 gallon mixed SPS/LPS tank and have really noticed improved colouration in my SPS corals, my Hydnophora colony which I have had for 3 years has gone from a dull/pale green to an intense fluorescent green and I've noticed some really intense colours appearing in my clams. So I am really happy with what I have seen so far.

Gonzalez0324

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using TM Bio Actif for a little over a year in my 90 gallon mixed SPS/LPS tank and have really noticed improved colouration in my SPS corals, my Hydnophora colony which I have had for 3 years has gone from a dull/pale green to an intense fluorescent green and I've noticed some really intense colours appearing in my clams. So I am really happy with what I have seen so far.

have u seen any algae blooms ? just because i heard that the bioactif increases the chances of algae bloom.. what about ur calcium? is it at appropriate levels?

zoechance

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using bioactif for a few months and notice a bloom of cyanobacteria! I was wondering if it was a coincidence or not as I have not changed my bioload or feeding….

Gonzalez0324

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using bioactif for a few months and notice a bloom of cyanobacteria! I was wondering if it was a coincidence or not as I have not changed my bioload or feeding….

well right now I've been using IO reef crystals and someone told me that i should try TM and since I'm upgrading I'm doing the research and someone told me that i might be prone to algae bloom. this is what their website says.

WHAT SALT SHOULD I USE.
If you have a community reef or a fish only tank with no special requirements and the desired alkalinity range is 9-10 dkH, you should use the Classic Salt Mix.

If you have a reef tank with higher calcium requirements and there is a desire to maintain alkalinity in the 6-8 dkH range, you should use the Pro-Reef Salt Mix. If you have a Ca or Kalk reactor, the Pro-Reef Salt should be used.

If you are carbon dosing your reef tank and an ultra-low nutrient system is desired, then the Bio-ACTIF System salt is what you should use.

mike007

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using tropic Marin's bio-Actif now for a few months and so far I really like it. It mixes very easily and my water seems like it is clearer than ever before. Sps are doing great and coloring up nicely.

StikHedRon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using the bio-actif since November and really like it. Mixes at the ideal levels for my tank. 440, 8, 1350. I switched from IO and couldn't be happier and I didn't have any blooms.

PedroYoung

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using the bio-actif for about 3 months and have had some issues with red turf algae. I'm going to switch back to IO. I found the TM was always low on Magnesium, usually tested out around 1200 in a new batch at 35 ppm salinity (2 buckets, same results). I'm not carbon dosing and wouldn't say I have an ultra low nutrient system, just good reef conditions, below 0.06 ppm phosphate. Didn't do my homework on the bio-actif, just saw it was highly rated. Anyone in the B'ham area that wants half a bucket let me know.

mike007

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am now getting some cyno myself . All parameters seem to be okay. I just wonder If this Is causing my Issues.

Breakthecycle2

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny thing is, I just switched to this this past Friday. I have a 200 gallon, but only did a 15 gallon water change with it. I have been battling cyano and not sure if it has anything to do with it, but I nave noticed it seems to be dissipating for the time being.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny thing is, I just switched to this this past Friday. I have a 200 gallon, but only did a 15 gallon water change with it. I have been battling cyano and not sure if it has anything to do with it, but I nave noticed it seems to be dissipating for the time being.

Switched to what salt from what salt?

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 31 33.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 21.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 9.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 5.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 25 26.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.2%
Back