Need help with algae/cyano

dgiglio3087

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So heres some background info on my tank...

Its a 210g (84"x24"x24") with 50g sump. The tank was setup as a mainly sps tank. Well ive been having cyano since the tank was set up but everyone just kept telling me " its just new tank syndrome". Well then at some point i had added some brs shelf rock into my tank (without curing it,honestly i didnt realize it was dead live rock, i thought it was just fake rock) , which made my situation way worse, adding Bryopsis. So i dosed tech M for about 6 months (almost wiped out my whole tank Long story), now i just have the cyano algae. I run 3 GFO reactors, 1 brs single and 1 brs double, so my phosphate levels have been reasonably low, i dont think ive ever had a hanna checker reading over 0.5ppm... usually more in the 0.3ppm - 0.0ppm range. I have been running biopellets on the tank as well. The tank has been up a little longer than a year.
I only use rodi water and wash all food before feeding. For the tanks size i have very small bioload compared to most. I have 1 yellow tang, one yellow bellied regal, a few chromis, 3 cardinals, 2 clowns. I run a reef octopus skimmer thats rated for double my tanks size. For flow i have two mp40s and 2 maxijet 1200's , along with my return pumps. i run two part for calcium alkalinity. And for lighting i use radions.

Ive tried using chemipure in the past with no long term results, usually just causes more problems.

So with all that being said, any suggestions ? If i didnt list something you need to know just reply and ill update the post...

Thanks in advance,
Daniel

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After reading all that you have running and are doing already to combat this issue,I'm suggesting ChemiClean. :) Just follow the directions and kill that Cyanobacteria once a for all!!

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

mike007

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has to be excess nutrients in water coloumn. What skimmer are you using? I would vacumn up as much as possilble and lighten up on your feeding. I had this problem with liquid coral foods.

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd say your rock brought in more than just Bryopsis, but alittle bit of cyano along with it.
What silicates would have been brought into your tank and left there?
Ok so, you can do the 3 day lights out to kill it off. Make sure the tank has absolutely no light on it. Make sure your skimmer has been cleaned out, because on the 3rd day, its going to remove some really nasty garbage from your tank.

beaslbob

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kill your lights and stop feeding until the cyano dies off.

then adjust both so the desirables thrive but cyano doesn't come back.

Of course a refugium full of macro algaes would help also as would an algae truf scrubber.

Still just my .02

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since you are running bio-pellets I am assuming you have a more than capable skimmer on the tank. What kind of pellets? What kind of skimmer?

Lights out for 3 days and wrap the tank in news paper. Skim WET during that 3 days. Then start dosing some good bacteria like Microbe Lift 'Special Blend'. Eventually the cyano will go away for good. You are at the year mark of the tank, only maturity and time will eventually clear it up, as long as your skimmer is over rated and able to handle the bacteria slough off from the bio-pellets.

OP
OP
dgiglio3087

dgiglio3087

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has to be excess nutrients in water coloumn. What skimmer are you using? I would vacumn up as much as possilble and lighten up on your feeding. I had this problem with liquid coral foods.

I have a reef octopus skimmer, can't recall the exact model off hand, it's huge, I wanna say it was around $500.

Typed on the go using an iPhone via Tapatalk- forgive any typos

OP
OP
dgiglio3087

dgiglio3087

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After reading all that you have running and are doing already to combat this issue,I'm suggesting ChemiClean. :) Just follow the directions and kill that Cyanobacteria once a for all!!

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

Na Ive done that before it didn't work.... In the past (on my 75g) it worked but not this last two times I've tried on my 210g. I know there's more than one brand maybe ill try the other one if I can't get my tank under control

OP
OP
dgiglio3087

dgiglio3087

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kill your lights and stop feeding until the cyano dies off.

then adjust both so the desirables thrive but cyano doesn't come back.

Of course a refugium full of macro algaes would help also as would an algae truf scrubber.

Still just my .02

Yeah Ive thought about doing that... Does it have any negative affect on the coral though?

Bartmmackey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problem for fish or corals with black out....my wife however was pacing like an expectant father thinking that I was killing everything. Nothing died but one chromis- scouts honor!

Just make sure your rocks after with a brush.

OP
OP
dgiglio3087

dgiglio3087

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problem for fish or corals with black out....my wife however was pacing like an expectant father thinking that I was killing everything. Nothing died but one chromis- scouts honor!

Just make sure your rocks after with a brush.

Wait do what with a brush ?

Bartmmackey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clean off dead stuff after the blackout. You can vacuum it up while u brush. Or just replace filter sock. Just to keep crap outa water.

OP
OP
dgiglio3087

dgiglio3087

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clean off dead stuff after the blackout. You can vacuum it up while u brush. Or just replace filter sock. Just to keep crap outa water.

Oh okay. The cyano should just disappear right? Like i know at night it kind of disappears. How many days did you have to leave the lighting off?

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 74 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 68 34.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.7%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back