to bio pellet or not?

el rookie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone having success with pellets? Anyone kicked the bio pellets for negative reasons? Im getting ready to remove my bio pellet reactor. I think it might be part of the reason my kh keeps dropping.

TwistedTiger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have tried biopellet reactors a few times now. Each time I ran it for 3 months or more. Two of the three times I seeded with bacteria. I never saw any negative effects in my sps dominated system. Unfortunately I also never noticed anything positive either. I'm tempted to try the new ecobak plus pellets, but I'm hesitant to spend another penny on biopellets without more positive reviews. Preferably from reefers I know and trust to be 100% honest.

tuanc704

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tagging along. Wanted to go biopellets too and bought the reactor but still hesitate to pull the trigger.

Jonreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just added a CPR nano reactor to my system last wed. I am only running half the amount needed for my 40breeder and 20L sump. I am running 100ml now. I am going to add another 50ml this coming wed and i might keep at just 150ml of pellets and see how that does. I dont want it to strip my system totally or to fast.

OP
OP
el rookie

el rookie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im currently running bio pellets as well and like twisted tiger said I haven't noticed any ill effects. A slight cyano outbreak that slowly went away and never came back. The only positive thing has been nitrates are non existent but its hard to tell if its the biopellets or my super low bio load (300g with 10 fish). Not sure if its worth on buying more pellets. Maybe if I had a bigger bio load worth keeping? Anyone here that can't live without them??

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had no problems running biopellets. This coming June with be one year. I think the secret is making sure the exit port on the reactor is close to the skimmer. I've definitely noticed improvements in my tank.

I also like running my alk lower....I target 7 to 7.5 dKH. All corals are growing like weeds. The only negative I've seen is my RBTA isn't normal....small and retracted. Don't know what is causing this.....might be my clowns pestering it too much.

SoDak

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently installed a Reef Octopus BR-110 on my 40b about 3 weeks ago. I hear it takes 8 weeks or so to really get broken in but so far I see no ill effects, the cyano I was fighting all winter in the display is pretty much gone. I did create a plumbing design that turned it into a recirculating reactor so I can control the tumble independent of the amount of water exiting. All exit water is run through a PVC Tee attached to the skimmer pump intake so nearly all BP water runs through the skimmer which keeps down the "sluff" I have seen from other reactors that do not run through the skimmer first. The one thing I would do differently is modify the reactor for larger plumbing, it currently in used 1/2", which is not enough IMO.

reeffirstaid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been running biopellets for about a year now. I run the Ecobak plus pellets, in an Aqua Maxx reactor. I have a lot of fish in my reef, which is why I decided to start running pellets as a nitrate control. Biopellets are carbon, so their presence can lower your kh, and consequently, your ph. Typically if you keep your outflow, coming from the reactor, into a skimmer or skimmer chamber, you can combat the side effect of excess bacteria moving into your system. You need to keep an eye on kh, and adjust it as necessary, though it shouldn't lower your kh enough to be a major problem. If set-up properly and cycled, I think biopellets are a great way of controlling excessive nitrates.

Afishionado

Richard @ Afishionado Channel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using TLF NPX pellets after speaking with Julian and I'm a firm believer of that guy.

I am having great success with it so far.

OP
OP
el rookie

el rookie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very true reeffirstaid. I notice a drop in kh and ph. The way my sump is set up I couldn't have a chamber designated for a skimmer and the reactor together. Would nitrate sponge be a good alternative for those that don't have a sump with several chambers?

MWDcasey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm giving it a try on my 40 gallon bio cube. Just like everyone else no positive or negative effects. All of my peramiters are exaxty the same. I gave it a try more as a proactive measure because of the lack of a sump. The only thing I will say is for some reason my substrate seems to almost solidifiy. Really weird I'll get a pic as soon as I see it happen again.

fishroomlady

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran pellets a few months ago and used ecobak. My main goal was to lower nutrients - especially nitrates. I ran them for about 6 months or so and really didn't notice any difference when I had them and now that I don't. Just my experience.

sawdonkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been running BRS in a modded TLF reactor for about 10 months. I have large fish and could never get nitrates under contol. They have been nearly zero for a long time now. Pellets never allowed me to get my Phos down, so I also run GFO. I dont think I'll ever take the pellets offline because they allow me to feed heavy and have big fish in my mostly SPS tank.

OP
OP
el rookie

el rookie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm giving it a try on my 40 gallon bio cube. Just like everyone else no positive or negative effects. All of my peramiters are exaxty the same. I gave it a try more as a proactive measure because of the lack of a sump. The only thing I will say is for some reason my substrate seems to almost solidifiy. Really weird I'll get a pic as soon as I see it happen again.
I had the same problem as well! I wasn't sure that it was the bio pellets or not. It kinda makes sense though if your skimmer isn't picking up all that slime they produce its bound to settle somewhere. Also my ph probe was gettinga bit of slime build up and ggiving me false readings. Sounds like its super important that your skimmer is set up in a way that its picking up all that the pellets is producing. I've shut mine down for now.

TwistedTiger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is some debate on whether it's better to have the effluent directed to the skimmer or not. There is input from more qualified posters than myself.
GREAT QUESTION!! I'm happy you asked.

Routing output of reactor directly to skimmer...You have no idea how much time this topic has consumed on Warner Marine phone lines!!

Short answer, we're conflicted... not really sure but maybe.

Exhibit #1... a recent "Tank of the Month" winner is an ecoBAK user. He has fantastic success and is probably one of the "top 5" SPS guys in the country. He actually runs his ecoBAK reactor output into his REFUGIUM. He claims unbelievable growth of everything inside including pods, sponges and other "bugs". Some plumb their output directly into the skimmer intake and others position the reactor output in the same sump chamber as the protein skimmer. They've all been successful so that's good... if you're a enthusiast then try different methods and observe the results. If you want something guaranteed to work well just plumb the output into the same sump chamber as the skimmer.

TwistedTiger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is some debate on whether it's better to have the effluent directed to the skimmer or not. There is input from more qualified posters than myself.
GREAT QUESTION!! I'm happy you asked.

Routing output of reactor directly to skimmer...You have no idea how much time this topic has consumed on Warner Marine phone lines!!

Short answer, we're conflicted... not really sure but maybe.

Exhibit #1... a recent "Tank of the Month" winner is an ecoBAK user. He has fantastic success and is probably one of the "top 5" SPS guys in the country. He actually runs his ecoBAK reactor output into his REFUGIUM. He claims unbelievable growth of everything inside including pods, sponges and other "bugs". Some plumb their output directly into the skimmer intake and others position the reactor output in the same sump chamber as the protein skimmer. They've all been successful so that's good... if you're a enthusiast then try different methods and observe the results. If you want something guaranteed to work well just plumb the output into the same sump chamber as the skimmer.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 78 38.0%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 12.7%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 30 14.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back