Dosing Kalk/are positive &negative ions going to be an issue...

TwistedTiger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you mean kalk? If so you're really over thinking this. I've been using kalk only for more than 10 years and if positive/negative ions are a problem my sps haven't noticed.

OP
OP
Reef.ductionist

Reef.ductionist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dosing lalk/are positive &negative ions going to be an issue...

Hi Sorry,yes I meant kalk.
Ok good to know, thanks.
I ask this question in light of the evidence pertaining to the Balling method and its proven benefits over Calcium Chloride. Ie: Over an extended period of time the use of Calcium Chloride has been shown to create ionic imbalances in saltwater thus resulting in tank crashes. I would need to re-review the articles I read to get more technical then this, however Dr. Balling spells it out in various magazine articles.
So maybe your right, I was just curious if over time kalkwasser would be AS beneficial or the same issues with respect to ionic imbalances could/would occur?
Cheers!

Last edited:

TwistedTiger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want to get that technical I'd ask someone like Randy Holmes Farley or one of the guys at reef keeping magazine that have a heavy background in chemistry. I'm sure you've seen these articles, but just in case look at any of the articles in this link about alk, kalk or lime. Some of them are pretty in depth.
Reefkeeping Online Magazine - Chemistry

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eventually?

No. Kalkwasser (aka 'Limewater) can be produced from either calcium hydroxide (common), or calcium oxide (less common). Calcium chloride, which is typically used to boost calcium levels quickly, *can* cause ionic imbalance over the long term due to the excess chloride.

OP
OP
Reef.ductionist

Reef.ductionist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I just got home and re~read all your answers, thanks a ton everyone, This forum is a great resource and its folks like you that make it so great. Now I am
going to read the article link as well.
Thanks again for all your help.:)

Last edited:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 37 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back