Golden Brownish Rock ?

gmendez619

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys so i have a new tank thats been set up for almost two months now but ive noticed that in the past week or so the rock went from just white to this golden brownish color. I dont know whats growing on it. But im guessing its hair algae ? Anyways i dont really like how it looks that much is there some way i can get rid of this ? If so how can i and is this a good or bad sign ? My water parameters are ph 8.4 sg 1.025 ammonia 0 nitrite 0 and nitrate 0
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1406927287.351353.jpg

beaslbob

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
algae of various forms. Kill the lights and stop all feeding until it dies off. then resume with less lighting and feeding and adjust to corraline, macros and other good stuff thrive but this does not come back.

OP
OP
gmendez619

gmendez619

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only problem is that i have a blue damsel in the tank ? He seems to be a heavy eater. But i will keep the lights off more because i notice that this grows more on spots where the light hits it

beaslbob

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no problem, the damsel will enjoy nibbling on the algae as the algae dies off. I have done the lights out a very very cloudy tanks for two weeks and never lost a fish. In that case I could not see more than 1/2" into the tank. It remained cloudy for almost the entire two weeks then cleared up in 2 days.

the reason you have algae on the rocks is due to the bioload and lights. Macro algaes in a refugium would help also. And this brown crud is normal in cycling tanks but usually happens at about the thrid week. Hopefully it will die back and be replaced with nice pretty corraline. IMHO you just have to give it some encouragement.

my .02

OP
OP
gmendez619

gmendez619

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok we im glad to hear all of this i guess ill just cut back on the lights for a couple weeks until this stuff dies off and see what happens. Thanks for all the advice i appreciate it :)

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back