Raised nitrates after feeding Phytoplan. Now how do i lower them?

Reef_a_holiks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like the title states i had a brand new bottle of phytoplan laying around which i found for $3 on the clearance rack at petco, but havent used it in about 10 months, decided to start using it to just finish the bottle and not let it expire without using it. My tank has always had 0 nitrates and 0 phosphates. Out of no where i have about 5-10ppm of nitrates, only thing i did different was use phytoplan for about 3 feedings. This has to be the cause, so i throw out the bottle in frustration, because everything was going so well. Now how can i lower my nitrates back down? I tried a 20% water change about 4 days ago, it went down a tiny bit, but nitrates are still there. What else can i do to lower my nitrates back down to 0? Im trying another 20% water change tomorrow.

What you guys think?

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
50% water changes drop Nitrates numbers in half, so If you did 50% one day then 50% the next, they should be close to 0 at that point.

beaslbob

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do nothing.

nitrates were 0 before doing something.

therefore should (eventually) return to 0 if you stop doing something.

Besides in a balanced tank with plant life (algae coral, macros , etc) a temporary bump up of nitrates is just the tank preventing the ammonia spikes until things settle down. When that happens nitrates will drop also.

my .02

OP
OP
Reef_a_holiks

Reef_a_holiks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do nothing.

nitrates were 0 before doing something.

therefore should (eventually) return to 0 if you stop doing something.

Besides in a balanced tank with plant life (algae coral, macros , etc) a temporary bump up of nitrates is just the tank preventing the ammonia spikes until things settle down. When that happens nitrates will drop also.

my .02

I did a water change today, and thats about all imma do, was thinking the same as you, imma let it do its thing and see how it goes. imma test nitrates again tomorrow.

ReeferRookie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate hate hate the 50 % water changes. Never ! U get rid of soooo much good for a tiny problem 5 is nothing to worry bout. And as suggested before. I had this same problem when switching from.frozen to flakes i did as suggested NOTHING and got back down to zero in.a month. If this hobby has taught u anything be patient

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 26 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Other

Votes: 2 6.3%
Back