Calcium and Alk too high

DcoarM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a 10g nano tank that has been doing great until recently. I have a small mushroom garden in it that is thriving and a medium green kenya tree that is doing great. The only problem I am having is that my frogspawn will not open. I just tested my calcium and alk and they are high. Calcium is at 500ppm and alk is at 10.2. How do i lower them both? Also is this why the frogspawn wont open?

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of possibilities. How long have you had it? Was it ever open? What lighting, filtration do you use? What fish, inverts do you have?

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing wrong with those numbers. What are your Nitrate and Phosphate number?

OP
OP
DcoarM

DcoarM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its a 10g nano with a 20g hob filter on the back of it and i haven't changed or cleaned the filters in a long time. how could the water be too clean?

3Twinklets

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They also appreciate just a little water movement. Check for detritus in and arond tissue.

OP
OP
DcoarM

DcoarM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Part of the skeleton is exposed. Almost like it is slowly dying, but that is only when it is fully closed up.

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its a 10g nano with a 20g hob filter on the back of it and i haven't changed or cleaned the filters in a long time. how could the water be too clean?
I had issues with mine when I had my water with Trates and Phosphates at 0, I had to bring them up a bit to get it happy.

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stopped dosing and no water changes, stopped adding phosphate remover until they came up, then resumed once they were where I wanted them.

juggalogentry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what would be considered calcium od? and what would the symptoms/effects be? I have not been able to afford the extra $$ to get a calcium test kit yet and all of them are extremely stupid to use (10 drops of this then count how many drops it takes to change ect ect) so ive just been sorta blindly dosing my new tank. using kents liquid calcium and using the same amount it says to use but only half as often as it suggests. is this a road to failure?

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 71 53.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 34 25.6%
  • None.

Votes: 29 21.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.8%
Back