alk test kits

kingator

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you reefers using today for testing alk , whats you feel is the most accurate ? im using hanna but it doesnt look to be on . its showing me 8.2 8.5 but salifert is showing me 10.5 and api which i only used to try to get close to either one of these , is showing me 10

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have had issues too with Salifert reading way different too, both alk and calcium.. They even read way different from one Salifert test kit to another Salifert test kit.. I no longer trust Salifert.

Last edited:

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hanna for me. I have the salifert and the API too but only use them if I'm out of Hanna. They all read different numbers but they are close and consistent.

Jimbo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the Hanna checker and the Salifert Alk kit. The Salifert consistently reads a little higher than the Hanna but it's always pretty close. I don't get as big a discrepancy as you do but Hanna is known for batches of bad reagents. IME I'd trust the Salifert over the Hanna checker.

Paul C.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Hanna is/was about 2 years old. Going by the readings, things were stable. Chalices started melting. After testing finally with Red Sea, Hanna was way off. Can they be calibrated? I mean this $50 dollar item cost me 2-3K

ps2cho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm o my second Red Sea kit and its always easy to read and accurate. I find its easier than the Salifert kit. Plus the refill kit is only $14.

mknightryder

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use two things now and test twice.. I use a hanna checker and redsea test kits.
x2 Red Sea Pro Alk test kit and checked every so often with the Hanna.... The RSP refills are cheap and the titrations are easier to do than the Salifert's. Plus the Salifert has always tested high for me. Hanna & RSP always close to each other...

Back