Hard Lesson - The cost of taking the shortcuts

ISR Jimmy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fellow reefers,
I am totally new to the reef scene. My past experience with saltwater has been with sharks in a FOWLR system. I recently came across a 29g Cardiff aquarium and thought I would try setting up a nice reef nano. Did all the normal best practices in setting up. Used pure RODI water for everything from cleaning, rinsing, filling, even rinsed my hands with RODI water before touching anything to prevent contamination. I even forked over the extra cash for a digital DTS monitor to ensure I am using the purest of waters. I also followed a slow cycle regime starting with raw shrimp, followed by live sand, and finishing with live rock. It took me weeks of patience, but everything appeared perfect in the end. I had what appeared to be a crystal clear aquarium with zero ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates. All was well, or so I thought.
And now for the rest of the story.
I purchased over $150 in shrooms, Z's, and P's, only to watch most slowly fade away. Shrooms are doing good, but the rest were gone in a week. Retested the water using my API kit and all still showed healthy with a slight bit of nitrate, but under 5ppm. After reading nearly every blog I could in hopes to find some random post that sounded similar, I found nothing. I was ready to toss in the towel on this one. Then my wife found another API test kit that tests calcium, Kh, and phosphates. Not thinking it any of them could be the cause, I tested anyway. My calcium was hovering at 280ppm and my alkalinity was off the scale on the high side. Nearly double what is on the chart. I tried everything to include water changes with no luck. The water coming out of the RODI unit was perfect in every way to include Kh
And here was the self induced problem...
What I figured out (at the cost of my frags). With each new bucketful of water, I used a short cut to get my PH to 8.2. I added The "Exact 8.2 PH powder with buffer to better sustain the PH", which uses alkaline as a buffer. Unfortunately I unknowingly increased my Kh from perfect conditions to off the chart with each little scoop. It also prevented the aquarium from absorbing the limewater when trying to increase my calcium. I found a great little article on the subject once I identified the problem and knew what to search for on the web.
Chemistry And The Aquarium: Solving Calcium And Alkalinity Problems ? Advanced Aquarist | Aquarist Magazine and Blog
I already completed a partial water change and am in the recovery phase. Hope this helps others just starting off.

Respectfully
James

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry James that you went through this but we've all been there. Even experienced reef aquarists go through things. I have had marine fish since the 90s and a reef for over 12 years but I did a very dumb thing a few months ago...I used water from my dehumidifier for WCs. I thought it was like distilled. Wrong! Its considered gray water and not even suitable for house plants. I lost a torch and my Duncan before I caught on. Amazingly my clam, frogspawn, hammers, pagota cup, my softies and all my livestock were OK but I felt pretty stupid. Live and learn and you did and will never make that mistake again. Good luck with your tank from here on in.

OP
OP
I

ISR Jimmy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vlangel,
Thanks much. After a late night water change I checked my ranges this morning. The Kh already dropped 3 points without impacting my overall PH. Thinking I will do one more water change later today then let it run for a solid day or so to level off. Hope this gets things in order so I can increase my calcium to 420ish.

James

Finnaddict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would also ditch those API test kits and get some Red Sea or Salifert kits to give you a more precise number that you need when keeping a reef. Those API kits just give you a ballpark figure. Also I would not worry about your PH too much. Jut make sure your CAL, ALK and Mag are all in line and you will be fine.

OP
OP
I

ISR Jimmy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finnaddict,
Thanks much. I will likely need to order it online. Didn't realize there were options and which ones were better. Scarce pickings around here for saltwater supplies. Appreciate the support.

James

bknapp

Has been left unattended
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't chase parameters, especially pH. Unless it is dangerously high or low don't worry too much about it, had a tank where I couldn't get above 7.8 and tried chasing it to no avail.

Find a nice range you're comfortable with managing, in a smaller system such as yours water changes may suffice to keep parameters within range.

Calcium, alkalinity and, Magnesium effect one another in different ways you may want to look into how they interact with each other to better understand what's happening.

OP
OP
I

ISR Jimmy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't chase parameters, especially pH. Unless it is dangerously high or low don't worry too much about it, had a tank where I couldn't get above 7.8 and tried chasing it to no avail.

Find a nice range you're comfortable with managing, in a smaller system such as yours water changes may suffice to keep parameters within range.

Calcium, alkalinity and, Magnesium effect one another in different ways you may want to look into how they interact with each other to better understand what's happening.

Bknapp,
Thanks, I have been reading up on the interaction between between calcium and alkalinity. Didn't know magnesium was equally important. Until I get a better test kit I can't test for magnesium. Truthfully, this high alkalinity issue I have is challenging. After two 20% water changes it has come down some. But it's still too high that it's off the chart on my test kit. And as a result it's preventing my calcium from increasing. It's slow progress, wish in ever added that API "Exact 8.2 PH with buffer".

Thanks
James

mrcoffee2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats rough man. When I started out I was too scared to add anything to my tank. It wasnt until it was like 6 months old did I start to explore additives.

Its too bad you dont live closer! I would have gladly tossed you a few frags... ;)

dieselkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did the same newbie mistake. I came from freshwater where all I did was worry about temp and ph. So I was doing the same as you. I went thru a salifert alk test kit in a week. The alk tested in the 30's.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for posting your goof - very valuable to anyone starting a tank!

Another case where the maxim "Nothing Good Happens Fast In A Reef Tank" could have saved the day.

Getting a good book would also have helped a lot.

Following internet trends like...
using shrimp to cycle your tank
using pH adjusters
adding live rock and sand in stages
adding $150 worth of frags all at once

...are all rife with problems....and unfortunately your tank hit the jackpot on dubious setup practices. :(

You won't find any of these practices recommended in a good book (or by me). ;)

BTW, a significant part of that maxim I mentioned relates to allowing oneself to make mistakes and learn....so as we all try to do, continue with that in mind: "Nothing good happens fast...!" :)

-Matt

MattL22

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Jimmy everyone was a newbie at one point I still feel like one and I've been in hobby for 5 yrs
In the beginning unfortunately u will learn mostly from mistakes same as most things worth doing

beaslbob

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for posting.

FWIW low pH is caused by high co2 and simply adding macro algaes to suck out the co2 would have raised pH. Then following the 3 part (specifically maintaing alk with baking soda) would have resulted in less day/night drops in pH>

Hope everything will be fine in the future and I'm glad things are progressing nicely.

bob

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 121 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.2%
Back