Red sea magnesium test

Tab28

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently purchased red sea test. It works different than the elos i have been using for years. My question is the final step. It says you read the number on the syringe when vial turns blue. Using the chart it tells you the mag level. My mag level keeps reading way low. The top of the chart says amount of solution used not amount remaining. The number on the syringe shows how much is remaining not how much was used. It has 1.0 ml toward plunger which is how much is left not 1.0 ml at tip which would be how much you used.

jayhawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It takes some getting used to because it doesn't make sense to structure the chart for used reagent. To make sure you get an accurate reading, fill the cuvet with 2ml of tank water. Add 5 drops of "a" and swirl for a few seconds. Add 5 drops of "b" and swirl. Start to slowly add reagent until solution turns blue. If the remaining solution in the syringe is .4ml, the reagent used is .6ml. .6ml via the chart is 1200. Check the date on the reagents to make sure they haven't expired.

ahmed.boomer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't go by the amount of reagent left in the syringe...read the number where the bottom of the plunger rests.
He's right. Initial - final and that's how much titrant you used. I found it accurate and have been using it for a 6 months twice a month.

OP
OP
Tab28

Tab28

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He's right. Initial - final and that's how much titrant you used. I found it accurate and have been using it for a 6 months twice a month.

So it is how much you used. The syringe that came with it has 1.0 at plunger end so if you push 1/4 into vial the number you read would say 0.75 even though you only used 0.25 of syringe. With 0.10 at tip and if you use 90% it would read 0.10 not 0.90. I think the syringe should be opposite. 0.1 at plunger end so when pushed 1/4 it would read 0.25 not 0.75.

ahmed.boomer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah so just subtract the initial from the final. I guess the instructions could be a bit more thorough. I use about .66-.70 each time

Waarrpped

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just ordered the Ca,Alk,Mag kit heard they are good test can't wait for them to come in! Glad I read this thread prior!

aqua1dude

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are instructional videos on how to use each Red Sea test kit on YouTube. The guy in the videos explains it.

OP
OP
Tab28

Tab28

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are instructional videos on how to use each Red Sea test kit on YouTube. The guy in the videos explains it.

Thanks that confirms what others on here stated. It is the number reading on syringe subtracted from 1.0. That number is how much you used and your level number.

I have a bunch of syringes over the years and a few actually are numbered opposite with 1.0 at tip. So now using one of them. The number it turns blue is the number i use. No need to mentally subtract. Not sure which test kit i got that syringe with but i prefer it to the one it came with.

CastAway

Prone to wander, never lost.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find that the most important thing with the Red Sea kits is to be mindful that you're looking for the final or end color, i.e. blue in the case of Mg. There may be a .01 to .02 transitional color. Likewise, this makes the pace at which you add the titrant kind of important. This may be especially true with the Ca test. Just my two cents.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back