alkalinity level when you run carbon

joesreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking at vivid aquariums sps corals and they recommend alk levels 7-8 dkh if your running carbon,im just curious why that is?

ReeferBee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe they mean carbon dosing, instead of running carbon. I know GFO can slightly lower alk but never heard of carbon lowering it.

joeyhatch11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run carbon and vodka dose and I never see my alk drop because of it. I do my weekly water changes and my alk stays the same. I wish they would have elaborated on that more.

mike007

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What they are saying Is If you are running a low nutrient system you need to keep your alk.at 7-8 dkh. That means if you are carbon dosing you are probably doing a low nutrient system.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the many wrinkles with carbon-dosing. (Nothing indicates this effect is related to nutrient levels...it's the carbon dosing.)

The cool part is that NOBODY really understands why this happens...follow me here...

I suspect that excessive levels of carbonic acid in the water mess with the test kits we use (which all assume "normal" sea water conditions, especially pH). If so, the folks with lowered pH or alk may not actually have the alk/pH their kits indicate. With acidic water, kits should in theory read low because the color-transition would be too soon (or too intense)...and if you follow your kit like a good reefer, this will cause you to dose more to compensate. Since your water is normal (just the kit is malfunctioning), you actually overdose.

-Matt

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 63 36.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back