what pelletized activated carbon are you running in your reactor

Dave3112

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not running "peletized" carbon in my tank but I do run the BRS lignite (large particle). I have run it for years.

OP
OP
ToXIc

ToXIc

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do you have any tangs? isnt lignite suspected to cause HLLE with tangs?

Zef004

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always used carbon with tangs, and the past 3-4yrs I've been using rox8 from BRS. And nothing wrong with any fish.

Dave3112

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I have 2 tangs. One is a yellow tang that I have had for 5 years now and have run the same carbon in every tank I have had it in. The other is a Blue tang (Dori) that I have had for about 2 years now. Neither one has shown any signs of HLLE. I don't think that Carbon is the cause of HLLE. IMO.

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do you have any tangs? isnt lignite suspected to cause HLLE with tangs?

Its the dust that is suspected to cause HLLE. If you rinse it well you should have any issues. From the original article:

If you do use carbon, rinse it well in reverse osmosis water prior to use, employ a foam fractionator, and do not place the carbon in a high water flow reactor (that might serve to break the carbon granules up into finer particles).

cdness

2006 - Present
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used everything from the el-cheapo petco stuff all the way to BRS Lignite and ROX 0.8. Honestly it seems like they all tend to work, just some last a little longer and have less dust.

I have always had tangs and never once had an issue with HLLE. I don't doubt that carbon can be a cause of it, but it's the carbon dust not the carbon itself. The pros generally outweigh the cons when it comes to carbon, just my $.02.

Nuocmam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ROX for as long as I can remember. If it is the dust I don't have a problem with that because the ROX carbon rinses the easiest out of all I've tried.

birdsnest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used some BRS roX C and had a real bad case of HLLE show up on 2 tangs. I can attribute it to not rinsing well enough, putting it in a high flow area and having the filter sock tear releasing the pellets into the sump. The sailfin recovered once I removed all the carbon but the purp. tang is still hiding in the rocks after a few weeks and I can still see that its fins are pretty frayed. Hope it pulls through. Another thing I learned the hard way.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ROX from BRS here. No tangs yet but all the research I've done suggests the link between carbon and HLLE in tangs is anecdotal at best. I plan to continue using if I do add tangs to the tank.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back