Bio pellets and kalkwasser dosing question.

REEFKEEPER10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm curious if any one doses kalkwasser and runs a biopellet reactor. It is sorta like vodka dosing so wouldn't you have to watch alkalinity closely to keep from burn corals. I want to start my reactor back up but I just started dripping kalkwasser at night so just want to do a little research first.

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My advice to you would be to get your alk down to no higher than eight. Since the kalk addition is new wait until your sure you got everything all dialed in and stable before you start the pellets.

OP
OP
REEFKEEPER10

REEFKEEPER10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I had my reactor going about a year ago my alkalinity was running high with no problems. But I never added anything at all. All I had was softies and lps but now I have two sps frags. My alk set at 16 forever and would not go down. It has finally gone down. But if that is your advice I will.

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just so you know Im a vodka doser not a biopellet user but Im pretty sure the same rules apply.

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The same rules do apply. You want to keep your alk no higher than 8 while running pellets.

OP
OP
REEFKEEPER10

REEFKEEPER10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah that is what i was thinking. I will just play it safe. Vodka don't work for me. I like to dose my self with it. Lol

OP
OP
REEFKEEPER10

REEFKEEPER10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Chris. I was going to ask about that early but I needed to get those frags home and you had things to do.

Thatgrimguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I need to get the kalk dosage right first then start the biopellets.
Yes,

Bio-pellets are solid carbon. Vodka is liquid carbon. Both fuel the same processes (bacterial growth) So you have to follow the same rules. You want to get your parameters as close to NSW (natural seawater) as possible. If you are above those levels now, then there is no need to drip Kalk, as it's primary purpose is replenishing Calcium and Alkalinity as a "balanced" additive. What are your current parameters?

N03
P04
Alk
Calc
Mag
SG

OP
OP
REEFKEEPER10

REEFKEEPER10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ph=8.2
NO3=0
PO4=0
Calcium=380
Alk=9
Magnesium=?
Salinity=1.025

I need to get a new magnesium test. All test other than salinity was done with a API TEST KIT. I have been dripping kalk for three days so it isn't to far of. I use REEF CRYSTALS so magnesium should be close to 1340. I do my water changes on Sunday so it will get replenished today. I don't need the biopellets right now but I want to keep it that way. Better safe than sorry right.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 47 48.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 52 53.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 22 22.4%
  • None.

Votes: 26 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 9.2%
Back