Please welcome Randy Holmes-Farley our newest expert and contributor to R2R!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Please welcome Randy Holmes-Farley our newest expert and contributor to R2R!

Randy will be modding and overseeing the Reef Chemistry forum and I am sure will be venturing into other forums to help our community! He will also be contributing new, updated articles specifically for our members here at R2R.

Here is some info about Randy.

29267eb_zps1af7be63.jpg

Randy started keeping reef aquaria in 1995. At that time, wild Florida live rock was still collected, and he still has some in refugia for his current 120 gallon display system. He has very actively participated in reef-oriented internet forums since that time, and was an expert moderator on Compuserve's Fishnet in the 1990's, as well as in more recent forums focused on reef aquarium chemistry. Over the years he has read hundreds of thousands of online posts of other reef keepers, and has answered countless questions in nearly a hundred thousand posts of his own. He was awarded the MASNA Aquarist of the Year award in 2007 for his efforts in assisting fellow reef hobbyists.

Randy's expertise is primarily in the science behind the aquaria we keep, especially the chemistry. He has a BA with a Chemistry and Biology double major from Cornell University, and a PhD in Chemistry from Harvard University. Using that background, coupled with his years of reef keeping experience, he has written dozens of articles for magazines such as Advanced Aquarist and Reefkeeping.

In the real world, Randy has spent the past 24 years in drug discovery. He co-invented three pharmaceuticals approved worldwide (Renagel; Renvela; Welchol/Cholestagel) which together have sales well over $1 billion annually. His recent positions include Vice President and Distinguished Scientific Fellow at Genzyme and Co-Founder and Chief Technology Officer at the startup, PixarBio Corporation. He has 72 issued US Patents and more than 30 scientific publications. He is currently an independent consultant in the area of therapeutic polymers, biomaterials, and drug delivery.

Randy lives in Arlington, Massachusetts with his wife, two daughters in high school, and two beagles.

Last edited:
OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome Randy. Thrilled to have you here my friend!

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone. I'm happy to be part of the R2R team!

My plan is to respond to every thread in this forum, and to selectively respond to threads in other R2R forums that I think I can help with, or where I am simply interested in the subject.

One of the things I'll be doing over the next couple of days is putting together a description of my system and posting it here, since I expect some folks will be interested in what methods I elect to use myself. I'll also be putting together some articles for R2R, but they will take a little longer.

I'll also sometimes try to make the Reef Chemistry forum fun in various ways since it can be a tedious, if necessary, topic for many.

FWIW, folks should just call me Randy.

I hope you find the forum useful!

Happy Reefing!

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome Randy. glad to see you over here. While I have read many of your posts on RC and elsewheres and have regarded you as an expert in water chemistry, I had no clue of your Bio. Very awesome stuff man! I cannot wait to see what you have in store for us here. this is one awesome and fast growing community.

H2O

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank God there's people with brains Wikipedia still thinks cayno bacteria makes oxygen

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great news and glad to see you here, too! Your articles and posts have been priceless in gaining a deeper understanding of the chemistry and processes occuring in a reef tank.

Ralph.

sexycorals

Bringing Sexy BACK!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome and great to have a person with that much achievements on here. Thanks in advance for giving us your time and helping us here. Looking forward to seeing your tank thread.

Joker79

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! Great to have such a knowledge base here on R2R for everyone to pick at and learn from!

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Randy I miss fishnet... I miss round tables..
Never did so much information come out of one place.

Last edited:

RLM60

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, I feel like my team got a #1 draft pick. I have read many of your articals over the years and looking forward to your contributions to this forum. By the way, have you cleaned your sump yet?

ReefFrenzy

Shrimp Pimp
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome!

I have ready many of your articles, especially when it comes to PO4 and foods! R2R just gained a great asset!

Rob&Gab

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome randy!!!!!

Please post a photo of your tan when you have the time.! Glad to have you aboard . Can't wait to hear some stuff

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back