Test kits?

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a reefer on a tight budget, I need to know what test kits would be best in terms of being economical while still accurate and fairly precise. I've been using the API kits and they serve me OK for fish-only, but I want corals...

cope413

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a small tank(<40g), you can get away with the API kit if you do regular WC in the range of 10-20g/ month. Otherwise, red sea makes a nice and fairly adorable test kit for alk, cal, and mag. And that should cover most of your needs

OP
OP
Eienna

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL. OK, thanks. I'll wait for additional opinions just to be sure, but I'll definitely look into that. :)

Autocorrect goof made me smile XD

JOKER

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would use hanna for alk and phosphate. Salifert for others, as for cost they are reasonably close. API is definitely the cheapest way to go but are so so. Someone broke all the test kits down by cost per test, when I get time I will look for it and share if I find it.

OP
OP
Eienna

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would appreciate that.
Hannas are so pricey!! Very cool but at a good $100 or so per checker...I don't know about that. And I'm guessing you have to buy refills for chemicals they use? If not, it COULD be a long-run savings...hmmm...

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would use hanna for alk and phosphate. Salifert for others, as for cost they are reasonably close. API is definitely the cheapest way to go but are so so. Someone broke all the test kits down by cost per test, when I get time I will look for it and share if I find it.

Would love to see that info.

JOKER

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cant get link to work but if you search cost comparison for reef aquarium test kits it should be close to the top. 3Reef.com

Last edited:

JOKER

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After initial cost of hanna it cost like .36 per test so imo that isn't much to get an accurate test compared to some of the others. I know all have error being the test and human but I really like my hanna for alk and phosphate. I wouldn't give you $10 for the calcium with unlimited reagents.lol.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If cost is a big concern, the cheapest way to get started is to only measure alkalinity. Then when alkalinity is low, replace it with a balanced calcium and alkalinity method. You really won't get too far off by doing that. Calcium will stay about where it is in your starting salt mix, so if it starts OK, it will stay OK. Same for magnesium if you are using a good quality two or three part additive system that includes an appropriate amount (as my DIY does). I've not used it for a long time, and I've not cost compared it to anything recently, but the Salifert kit is a good choice for alkalinity.

Nitrate and phosphate are useful, but not critical in all situations, especially if you have no algae issues. If I were to test for very low phosphate, I'd probably get the Hanna phosphorus checker, but the Hach PO-19 phosphate kit is also very good for values above 0.03 ppm (not cheap either).

I'd never buy any pH kit. I'd always get a meter. Even a cheap one can be checked, if not calibrated, unlike a kit.

Last I was measuring alkalinity, I did DIY titrations with a standard acid (purchased) and a pH meter. :)

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 35.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 36 30.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back