Question on my water lvl's

Mstanker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have about 8-10 frags in my 40g tank. My cal is 450, Mag=1530,alk-9. So my question is that having high mag a problem. For 3 months now its staying in the 1500+ range. I'm trying to have the "best" water conditions to have good growth. I just not sure that having high MAG, is causing a problem in my tank. Also I do not dose anything. I do a water change about every 3weeks. Thanks for any input.

JOKER

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run mine around 1500. You would be surprised if you don't look at the tank for a few days how much stuff actually grows. Also it will take few months sometime for a coral to adjust to your system as long as they look healthy I would just keep it up. Your phosphate or nitrate aren't high are they?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Normal Instant Ocean (as opposed to Reef Crystals) should not have magnesium that high.

I wonder if it might be a testing error, which are really very common.

Or the salinity is higher than you think it is.

How are you measuring salinity and what do you think it is?

Eric B

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Instant Ocean and new salt for me measures around 1250 on magnesium at 1.025. It does vary a little from that number from time to time but not far from 1250 as I test it so I can dose it to match my system for water changes. I'm with Randy on this one as it seems to maybe be a testing error or a bad test kit maybe......

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mstanker

Mstanker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my salinity is 1.025 and i use a hydrometer, for the reading on the mag, i just usea red sea pro kit

Last edited:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A swing arm hydrometer or a floating glass type?

If a swing arm, you might want to double check it somehow (I have a DIY 35 ppt (sg = 1.0264) standard for it, if you want). Salinity off that far would be a significant concern, while magnesium alone would not be.

But it may just be test error with the kit, or a batch of IO that wasn't homogeneous and had extra magnesium in the part you used.

OP
OP
Mstanker

Mstanker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Randy, So have been getting brown,green,ect algae in my DT and sump. I just did a phosphate test with API, and i know i need a hanna tester but atm i dont have one. I also did one 3 weeks ago and its saying 0. Weird hum, it could be a bad test kit, and also someone said since my tank is only 5 months old in OCT that the rocks are taken in alot of phosphate. Im not sure. I was running my Sump lights 24/7 and yesterday i cut it back to 5 hr to see if i can get some of the algae to leave the sump. I have a reactor running in my sump and I put rowaphos in yesterday also. Another question, If all of the algae in the saltwater hobby are in my tank on the rocks,then there has to be high phosphate right? Thanks

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many phosphate kits do not accurately read low enough to say that there isn't sufficient phosphate for algae.

Additionally, the algae may be taking it up as fast as you add it in foods, just like growing macroalgae or an algal turf scrubber works, having a big algae problem will drive down phosphate as it uses it up. Be rest assured there is adequate phosphate for it, and intercepting that phosphate before the algae gets it (using GFO, for example) is one of several good plans.

Lowering nitrate may also be useful, such as with organic carbon dosing.

OP
OP
Mstanker

Mstanker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had you ever used rowaphos in a reactor and if so whats your experiance. I cut my sump lights off the 2 days now, will that help kill off the algae. But at the same time hurting the cheto. or will the bad algae still live without the light and im just hurting my cheto from not growing.

In my reactor what would me the best combo to run GFO/Carbon. This is the reactor i have Detailed Product View. thanks
I just youtube some videos on Bio-pellets, whats your thoughts on that also. THanks again

Last edited:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rowaphos is a fine brand of GFO and will lower phosphate if you use enough.

Lights off is only a temporary measure as it doesn't remove the nutrients that the dead cyano may release, so unless you export them, it will grow back.

I prefer soluble organic carbon (vinegar) dosing to pellets, but pellets can work fine.

I don't know if that reactor can use GFO or not.

OP
OP
Mstanker

Mstanker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That reactor has 2 foam pads and 2 plates, so it has GFO 100ml in it now per 40g breeder 20g sump. What if i Run carbon and GFO at the same time but use a Pad to split them up? Just trying to get this brown algae and other crap out of the tank.

I got another quetsion on my GFO i got the to foam pads pressing on the GFO so it does not tumble in the reactor. Is this how the setup is suppose to run or should there be a slight movement>?

Last edited:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That reactor has 2 foam pads and 2 plates, so it has GFO 100ml in it now per 40g breeder 20g sump. What if i Run carbon and GFO at the same time but use a Pad to split them up? Just trying to get this brown algae and other crap out of the tank.

I got another quetsion on my GFO i got the to foam pads pressing on the GFO so it does not tumble in the reactor. Is this how the setup is suppose to run or should there be a slight movement>?

I mix my GFO with my GAC in my canister because the GFO will pack too tightly on its own if it is not in a upflow reactor which tends to push it apart and have some small tumbling on top (not necessarily all through it). Slight movement is fine, but you don't want to pulverize it.

OP
OP
Mstanker

Mstanker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright so ill have to fix my GFO now because its not moving at all. Like you said it looks packed together b/c of the foam pads pressing it.

OP
OP
Mstanker

Mstanker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
test.jpg

Just an update on my test week to week, my Alk dropped a bit for some reason. But my Ph is still light before. I'd like it to get up to atleast 8.2. Thanks

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back