Refractometers and the color of light used: important!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was recently asked whether the light impacts the results one gets with a refractometer.

I'll give the rationale below, but it turns out it is CRITICAL that you use the same color light for calibration as for measurement. Don't move to a different room of your house where the lights may be different.

The reason for this is that the refractive index of water (fresh or salt) changes a lot with wavelength. The standard for all visible light refractive index measurements is supposed to be yellow (specifically, the yellow doublet sodium D line, with a wavelength of exactly 589 nanometers), but reefers rarely worry about such complexities.

The link below shows how much the refractive index of pure fresh water changes with wavelength (color):

Refractive index

specifically, here's a graph:

RI-Comparisons.gif

Look, for example, at the difference between deep blue (say, 480 nm) and orange (about 650 nm). Let's look at just the light blue line. That difference, from about 1.339 to 1.3325 is, remarkably, about the same as the difference between pure fresh water (RI = 1.33300) in yellow light and natural seawater (1.33940) in yellow light.

So the color effect on refractive index is as large as the entire difference between salt and fresh water.

However, we have a big saving feature at work. As long as you calibrate and measure in the same light (same color), the overall effect of the change in refractive index with light color largely cancels out between the calibration and the measurement, and you are able to sort out what portion of the effect comes from the added salts in the aquarium.

What you cannot do is calibrate under one type of light, and then measure tank water under a different set of lights (for example, in a room with fluorescents vs a room with incandescent lights or outside, or in a basement and then next to a tank with a lot of blue light.

Of course, rarely would someone have such extreme light differences as the deep blue vs orange mentioned above, but that is a 100% error in the salt concentration (ie., salinity might be really 1 ppt or sg = 1.001 when the refractometer says 35 ppt or sg = 1.026). I assume most reefers would like the salinity measurement to be far, far better than that, and so paying attention to the color of the light within the range aquarists might actually encounter is important.

So be sure and calibrate and measure in the same location if using a refractometer!

Last edited:

whixley101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Always wondered that. I put a 10k bulb in a fixture in my sump room for all my testing to keep it consistent.

Sent from my iPad using REEF2REEF

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes great info Randy! Love this type stuff!

RacingTiger03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
very good info, and absolutely accurate. I use the same principal daily as an optician. Our lensmeters are calibrated for "yellow" light as well, and actually dropping a green filter in front of a low watt halogen bulb will give you the most accurate representation. Granted calibration of those isn't done "in-house" either, so it's an industry standard calibration. Regardless, I'm surprised this isn't in the manual or considered a standard in the refractometer calibration o_O. Much like the salinity example, a glasses RX can be thrown off significantly (even regular plastic lenses have a refractive index of 1.50!) more than this!

Wavelengths = very important. LOL.

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very interesting! I figured this out by accident. I normally use my florescents in the kitchen but one day looked at it through the tank LEDs. The difference was so huge I almost paniced. As I walked through my kitchen towards the room with RO water I stopped, backed up and thought.... "wait a minute, let's check that again" I did so under the kitchen lights. Whew! That was my Ah Ha moment ;)

cdness

2006 - Present
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome Randy! I learn something new every day in this hobby. I have always done testing consistently, but if you ever bring the tool to another person't house, it could make a world of difference!

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very interesting! I figured this out by accident. I normally use my florescents in the kitchen but one day looked at it through the tank LEDs. The difference was so huge I almost paniced. As I walked through my kitchen towards the room with RO water I stopped, backed up and thought.... "wait a minute, let's check that again" I did so under the kitchen lights. Whew! That was my Ah Ha moment ;)

Nice. I'm glad someone has some real experience the back up the theory. :)

rayn

Bluefin Believer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had always done it in the same room, never knew a reason too.

Just another cool aspect of this hobby!

Rjramos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome and thank you! The refractometer didn't come with instructions. Lol. What about the calibration fluid? Should I be using it?

Rich

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting.
I have a related question...
My ATC refractometer says it must be calibrated at a room temp of 74F. Since all there is in the house is a swamp cooler, this is difficult. Is there a way to adjut the calibration for temperature differences?

terri_ann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hadn't given that a thought! Oops! I calibrate in the basement and the main floor. Looking outside, using the light coming into the room. Sometimes using the different systems' lights (T5's). Et cetera... I have just always looked for the brightest light available at the time of calibration! No wonder every time I check to see if its calibrated, I need to change it! Thanks Randy!!

Last edited:

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 40 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 25 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.4%
Back