ORP: Ceramic rock vs Marco rock

choff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is more of a curiosity, but I some what recently pulled all of my Marco rock (175 pounds) from my DT and replaced it with ceramecos vidarock product. I'm ecstatic with the conversion, but my ORP dropped from my consistent 415 to 430 down to the low 300s. It's been 3 months and there has been no change.

There were no other changes made to the system which consists of 150 DT, 125v sump, 40 fuge and 40 FT. I have tested the probe using 400mv solution and it checked out at 396.

If anything my tank had less detritus than ever. The vidarock has far fewer contact points with the sand bed and I now get good flow under and through the rock. Marco rock was a detritus trap. I was constantly using a power head to clean the pockets.

I'm not going to pretend I fully understand ORP and realize it's a complex number. I don't take any actions based on ORP, I just tend to note the changes when I do things like swap carbon etc.

I'm curious if the drop is simply due to the change in material or if there is something else afoot. Appreciate any thoughts or insight you may have.

Regards,
Mike

Eric B

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have read and followed previous post that people have had to run a silica absorbing compound because these ceramics will release this in the water column for quite some time when freshly introduced into aquariums. I don't know if that would have any effect on the ORP dropping like you mentioned. I am curious was this an established tank and you just swapped all this out at once or is this a new setup and still going through the cycling stages? Either way I do like the ceramics and I think the look really cool and are a good alternative to live rock.

OP
OP
choff

choff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Eric, the tank had been running for 2 years at the point of the swap. To minimize impact i was able to move all existing rock into my sump and fuge. In addition I added a large seachem matrix reactor a few months prior to the swap. I then slowly pulled all of the rock out of the sump and fuge over the next several months. The transition was very smooth with zero visible losses.

The impact of silica would be algae? I had a little cyano on the sand bed, but that dissipated pretty quickly.

Last edited:

Eric B

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK cool! I first read it and just thought you swapped it out at once, and most people I have talked to did something similar to you unless they were setting up a new system then they just started with the ceramics from day one. Yes I would just think that any silica would lead to some algae growth but glad that has dissipated for you quickly. I still have no clue why your ORP would have dropped that much all at once maybe Randy can shed some light on it! :)

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a large vidarock display piece for 2 years now and LOVE it. I really think I am going to be sticking with ceramic rock for my systems, but sadly I can't answer the question as I don't track ORP, but I have never once had any diatom problems.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure why the ORP dropped, or even, with certainty, that it is directly caused by the rock.

Release of a reducing metal might do it (like ferrous iron), but if that's it, I'd be concerned.

i wouldn't expect release of silicate and possible diatom growth to drop ORP.

Sorry I don't have a better answer. :(

OP
OP
choff

choff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK cool! I first read it and just thought you swapped it out at once, and most people I have talked to did something similar to you unless they were setting up a new system then they just started with the ceramics from day one. Yes I would just think that any silica would lead to some algae growth but glad that has dissipated for you quickly. I still have no clue why your ORP would have dropped that much all at once maybe Randy can shed some light on it! :)

Now that would just be silly (doing a straight rock swap) :D

I have a large vidarock display piece for 2 years now and LOVE it. I really think I am going to be sticking with ceramic rock for my systems, but sadly I can't answer the question as I don't track ORP, but I have never once had any diatom problems.

No question. I'm Im a huge fan now. I rescaped my tank constantly and was always dissatisfied . Now, I love looking at my tank. It was the missing pieces for me. The process was trying, but well worth it.

I'm not sure why the ORP dropped, or even, with certainty, that it is directly caused by the rock.

Release of a reducing metal might do it (like ferrous iron), but if that's it, I'd be concerned.

i wouldn't expect release of silicate and possible diatom growth to drop ORP.

Sorry I don't have a better answer. :(

Thanks for looking Randy. I'm not worried about anything bad, it's been closer to 6 months I've had this in my tank and my all my acros have good color and a few are really starting to take off. No fish or invert deaths either.

OP
OP
choff

choff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Made a quick cell phone video (just over a minute) that does are better job representing the rock.

The rock and almost all of the sps were purchased mid July, so I have a nice big frag tank at the moment. :)

Edit: that corner shelf was just picked up at macna from the alternative reef and put in the tank last week. Everything else is vidarock

http://youtu.be/GdpIQz6423k

Last edited:

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 27 49.1%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 29 52.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 10 18.2%
  • None.

Votes: 13 23.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.5%

Back