Reef crystals vs esv - triton test

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I thought it would be fun to use the triton test to look at my two salt mixes. I have been using rc for a few years, but decided to try esv. I used new bags of both, 30g each at 1.025. The container was rinsed with 1n hcl, and rinsed throughly with 0tds water. Magnetic stir bar was used to mix the salt, plastic forceps were used to hold the vials for collection.

Enjoy!

Reef crystals:
image.jpg

image.jpg

Esv:
image.jpg

image.jpg

Thoughts? Hopefully Randy will chime in.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

OP
OP
hart24601

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And finally results from my 65g. I do run go, carbon, poly filter from time to time and recently put tlf metasorb in my sump, but it could be exhausted my now. Sorry for all the data sheets.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for posting that!

Have you used ESV in the aquarium yet?

The lithium would suggest yes. Curious, and concerning, that it is so high.

A number of people of people get Triton results with elevated iodine. I wonder what is up with that? Maybe an interference, or maybe whole suspended organisms containing iodine. I rarely see anyone with a kit result that is substantially over 0.06 ppm.

Assuming it is accurate, I wonder where the tin (Sn) is coming from.

OP
OP
hart24601

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using esv shortly before I took the sample for the test, guess that is pretty clear! Now looking at those numbers, which mix would you choose...

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not know what effects lithium has in a reef, but it is biologically active. Craig Bingman tested mixes years ago and found most were elevated (like Reef Crystals is in your test), and Coralife was very high (and IIRC, a few people associated that very level with problems)

Aquarium Frontiers Feature

Picking between these two only, and assuming the data is accurate, I'd elect the Reef Crystals because of the elevated lithium and lead in the ESV.

OP
OP
hart24601

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the link, I have never seen that one.

I was hoping ESV would be a clear-cut winner... although lot variations, sampling errors, mixing and a host of other variables could come into play - but that lithium is pretty high to be that strongly impacted. Hopefully other people will test their favorite salts and we can keep adding to the information. I know this isn't the point of the Triton method, but for my biocube 14 the main method of nutrient control will be waterchanges and I will be setting up a new 120 and will have to fill it, so it's good to know.

I take it the copper in RC isn't high enough for concern? I can't think of a reason for tin in my DT... 2 part impurity?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see any copper detected in your tank water, and the RC at 3 ppb, it is just above their detection limit of a few ppb. Despite the way they write it, they cannot detect 0.1 ppb.

When I carefully analyzed for copper a few years ago, I found about 13 ppb in my tank, and less than 10 ppb (about my limit of detection) in the IO that I was using. Copper comes in with all sorts of things, from foods to calcium and alkalinity additives.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes thanks for posting this!

OP
OP
hart24601

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my ESV salt looks like I may have to run a test on my tank.

I hope you do! Test the salt too if you don't mind spending 50 bucks, haha.

I emailed ESV tech support and showed them this thread and results just for a FYI and to get their thoughts, very quickly they replied asking for the batch numbers to sort it out on their end. I hope they do, I like mixing the components.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope you do! Test the salt too if you don't mind spending 50 bucks, haha.

I emailed ESV tech support and showed them this thread and results just for a FYI and to get their thoughts, very quickly they replied asking for the batch numbers to sort it out on their end. I hope they do, I like mixing the components.

Let us know if they get back to you with anything interesting. :)

jt17

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh man. I just stocked up on ESV too. What is your lot number on your esv? It looks like the carbon at least pulled the extra lead out. Looking forward to what ESV says about this.

Ehsan@triton

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hallo Randy, Hallo guys sorry for jumping in but possibly its usefull information for you :

Hart how have you made up the artificial-seewater.
1. Normaly you would need a "Blind" so just the Water that you use for mixing.
2. you need to mix up a "good amount" of salt so lets say the smalest package of the Salt you can get but all of it.

have you done it this way ?

Randy there is a Iterference with I, if the P is to high, 100 + it could cause a failse high Iodine reading as the lines are to close.

if you have questions don´t hasitate
All the best Ehsan

OP
OP
hart24601

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I fully realize there could easily be errors in the mixing or from many other points, but here is some more info. The water was 0 TDS, both the reef crystals and ESV were made using the same "batch" of water, that is to say I didn't make any more RO water between salt mixes. The reef crystals came in a 200g box, but inside that each bag is for 50g. I used a fresh bag and made 30g, so I used most of the small bag. Before mixing I put into another clean plastic container to mix a bit better.

I sampled the RC and used the rest of the water. The container and mixing supplies were washed with RO water. I then used the same brute can to mix the ESV, 30g worth. The ESV comes in 4 parts, 2 liquid and 2 dry, I weighed them on a balance, shaking the liquid before measuring. I mixed the dry mag before using, but the calcium is in a bag and it's hard to take out of the box (200g size) so that was the only one that didn't get a great mixing, but I did try to mix with the scoop.

I would like to have tested the water as a control, but I didn't want to spend the $$, plus if the water had something in it, that would show up in both tests since it's the same batch. Ideally it would be nice to make the fulll 200g of each one, but I don't have the resources for that. This was just a fun test I thought I would do.

Last edited:

TheClark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excellent, thanks for sharing. I wonder if someone has done this on a fresh batch of Kent's salt since so many use it. Great stuff!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hallo Randy, Hallo guys sorry for jumping in but possibly its usefull information for you :

Hart how have you made up the artificial-seewater.
1. Normaly you would need a "Blind" so just the Water that you use for mixing.
2. you need to mix up a "good amount" of salt so lets say the smalest package of the Salt you can get but all of it.

have you done it this way ?

Randy there is a Iterference with I, if the P is to high, 100 + it could cause a failse high Iodine reading as the lines are to close.

if you have questions don´t hasitate
All the best Ehsan

Thanks. :)

When you say P too high, 100+, what units are those?
Do you think the iodine readings that many people get that are very high may reflect organic iodine and/or whole phytoplankton and bacteria?

On the point of the blank, assuming he used the same water for both RC and ESV, and since RC showed no elevated lead or lithium, IMO, that serves as an adequate blank. :)

Last edited:

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 113 57.9%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 57 29.2%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 70 35.9%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 33 16.9%
  • Other

Votes: 58 29.7%
Back