Best way to raise alk

tencwhiskey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently having a problem with my alk. I use kalkwasser,. My calcium is steady at 450, but my alk has dropped to 6.5. I am unsure the best method to raise the alk?
Baking soda? Or two part? I'm on my way to Lfs but they will just sale me stuff.

tigerdragon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do a 25% water change first then see what your alk is and start dosing. I take that you arent doising alk atm you need to bring it up to around 10 which is a good spot. I use two part and been keeping by alk around 9.2 i would like to bring mine up a little higher myself but i like to go slowly as to not shock everything

OP
OP
tencwhiskey

tencwhiskey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not currently dosing, but I need to start I assume. I will do the water change, and grab some two part and go from there. Thanks

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, I don't think a water change will do anything important for this issue, but water changes also do not generally hurt anything. :)

If the limewater is saturated and is being used to replace all evaporated water, then my suggestion is to start using a two part additive in addition to the limewater.

You can buy a commercial one, or a DIY using my recipes with bulk chemicals sold by folks such as BRS. :)

OP
OP
tencwhiskey

tencwhiskey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do 10% water change weekly, I am due today. I am using 1/2 tsp per of kalk gallon should I bump that up a little?

zemuss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what the 1/2 tsp is mixed in your Salt mix?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do 10% water change weekly, I am due today. I am using 1/2 tsp per of kalk gallon should I bump that up a little?

In that case, you can hold off on the two part for now and up the amount of calcium hydroxide in the limewater to 1 full teaspoon per freshwater gallon and see what that does over several days.

If you need to, you can double that again, but that's the limit of what will dissolve (2 tsp per gallon of fresh water). :)

OP
OP
tencwhiskey

tencwhiskey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It mixed in my auto top off reservoir. From my understanding it's best to start off with 1/2tsp per gallon of water for the limewater, I'm curious if I should add more kalkwasser?

OP
OP
tencwhiskey

tencwhiskey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bumped it up, came home today checked the alk had no movement, so I found my Api alk kit and checked it with that, and it's coming back at 9.
My Red Sea is coming back at 6.4. I know the Red Sea is usually better but I'm thinking it may be wrong.

OP
OP
tencwhiskey

tencwhiskey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1413426992.698250.jpg

That's says 0.5 used which is 7.0,

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heck I'd just use a Teaspoon of baking soda, that would take care of that.

Back