Huge Diatom Problem HELP!

mega

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 80 gallon rimless has been running for about a year now, upgrade from previous tanks so sand and rock is all fully cycled. Only problem is all of a sudden im getting crazy diatoms.
I run my Radions a 65% for 6 hours a day, turned the green and red leds off to stop algae growth. Also when i do a 10-15 water change every week or two the diatoms are back within an hour and doesn't look like I did a water change or cleaned the sand at all. The sump is loaded with live rock in the fuge along with a DSB that never gets stirred up and lots of cheato. I have a tunze skimmer way overrated from the tank and a gfo reacto running as well. Anyone know what may be causing this problem?

Thanks for any help to come!!

OP
OP
mega

mega

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's rodi and every 3-4 months we switch out the same for top off is its rodi but here's the thing my other tabk has no diatoms in it at all and it's the same water

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, but dinos are brown and cyano can be brown too. I have some brown cyano, for example. :)

If it is not diatoms, then silicate removal is not going to be helpful.

OP
OP
mega

mega

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dont think its silicates because ive never had this problem untill i changed to led....

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dont think its silicates because ive never had this problem untill i changed to led....

Not sure what you mean.

If they are diatoms, they need N, P, and silicate. If it is some other form of algae, it needs N and P, regardless of light.

But brighter light makes most pest algae grow faster.

OP
OP
mega

mega

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still dont think its silicates because all the other tanks we have dont have that problem...any one chime in?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still dont think its silicates because all the other tanks we have dont have that problem...any one chime in?

If it really is diatoms, them they must be getting silicate and other nutrients from somewhere. But if it is dino's or some other pest, then silicate is not needed.

Back