25gal Kalk Reservoir??

RandoReefer

RandyBRS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been getting into adding kalk to my tank to supplement my 2part dosing. (Saves on 2part usage and raises PH).

So far I've been using a small 5gal reservoir via a drip line. This has quickly become too time consuming due to having to refill the reservoir daily, as well as continually adjust my skimmer due to fluctuating sump levels.

My question is, will there be any drawback or issues with turning my 25gal ATO reservoir into a kalk saturated one? It normally takes 1.5wks - 2wks to exhaust the 25gal reservoir.

Will I need to stir every few days, or at all? Will 25gal of Kalkwasser lose saturation over 2wks?

Thanks!!!

sawdonkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a 25 gallon kalk reservoir on my 250 or so gallon system. I used to do a 5 gallon tank, but like you said, way too much work. I only stir when I first add the kalk. The tank lasts me about a week and a half in the summer and about a week in the winter.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416764691.970735.jpg

OP
OP
RandoReefer

RandoReefer

RandyBRS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I built a eggcrate box for my Tunze Osmolator pump to stand on inside my ATO reservoir so as not to draw up any particulate. Now to calculate how much kalk to mix and whip out a powerhead to stir.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been getting into adding kalk to my tank to supplement my 2part dosing. (Saves on 2part usage and raises PH).

So far I've been using a small 5gal reservoir via a drip line. This has quickly become too time consuming due to having to refill the reservoir daily, as well as continually adjust my skimmer due to fluctuating sump levels.

My question is, will there be any drawback or issues with turning my 25gal ATO reservoir into a kalk saturated one? It normally takes 1.5wks - 2wks to exhaust the 25gal reservoir.

Will I need to stir every few days, or at all? Will 25gal of Kalkwasser lose saturation over 2wks?

Thanks!!!

No, it won't loose saturation over a couple of weeks if it is kept closed. Do not stir it.

i make up more than 120 gallons at a time and use it over more than a month.

I show it is stable here:

The Degradation of Limewater in Air - Reefkeeping.com

from it:

Figure 2. The conductivity of the limewater in my dosing reservoir as a function of time.

image004.gif

OP
OP
RandoReefer

RandoReefer

RandyBRS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, it won't loose saturation over a couple of weeks if it is kept closed. Do not stir it.

i make up more than 120 gallons at a time and use it over more than a month.

I show it is stable here:

The Degradation of Limewater in Air - Reefkeeping.com

from it:

Figure 2. The conductivity of the limewater in my dosing reservoir as a function of time.

image004.gif

Your input is always much appreciated, Randy. Thanks for the reading assignment and your input!

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 22 31.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 56 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 11 15.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.7%
Back