Dosing My Tank

AaronOB82

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I'm fairly new to the hobby and I had a few questions. I've had my tank set up for about 6 months or so now and I'm just starting to add corals into it. I introduced about 5 new soft corals to my tank, and 3 new hard corals to my tank. My question to you guys is what should I be dosing my tank with to maintain healthy corals? I bought some Coral Frenzy food for them, but I'm not too sure what chemicals to be adding to my tank to keep them healthy and to maintain a strong growth.

Noob

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do you have a test kit? if not, i would buy a good one. test for Calcium, Magnesium, and Alkalinity. don't chase a number, just look at your corals. if they're happy, and they have great polyp extension, they're open, etc. i would test and write down those parameters, b/c you're going to want to keep it there.

akitareefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You wont need to dose yet, just regular water changes. As said, get some test kits. Research test kits brands, ones like API might be less accurate then others. Also go easy on the coral frenzy, over feeding can cause high nitrates and phosphates (I overfed as a beginner). Good Luck :)

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
A

AaronOB82

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dosing/coral feeding

I change my water once every Friday and then I test my water afterwards and my levels are top notch. Perfect! I've only fed my corals once since getting their food and only plan on feeding them like twice a week. Do you think feeding them twice a week is ok? Or should I only feed them once a week?

OP
OP
A

AaronOB82

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about adding C-Balance? That stuff is suppose to keep all of your levels even after water changes right?

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 48 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 21.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back