"Causes" of Problem Algae

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I posted this in the beginners forum, but I thought it might be useful here as well, since the overlap in people may not be high.

If you have excessive green algae, don't waste a lot of effort trying to determine "what" is causing it.

Many folks mistakenly think that a high level of nitrate or phosphate can "cause" algae to grow excessively. Or that high silicate causes diatoms.

These aren't really true in the sense that it is never one thing. All algae must get relatively fixed amounts of several different things to grow: a source of nitrogen (which might be ammonia or nitrate), a source of phosphorus (usually phosphate), iron, silicate (if diatoms are the concern), and some other trace elements (and, of course, light, space, etc.).

If ANY of these is sufficiently low, it can slow or stop the growth of algae, no matter high high the others get.

Also, the levels of these measured with a kit may be low simply BECAUSE the algae is growing fast and taking it up (just as growing macroalgae or using anATS can reduce nutrients).

So testing with a kit is never needed to tell you "what" the cause is, since the cause is always an adequate supply of all of them.

Always think of dealing with algae problems by getting the nutrients before the algae does, no matter what any kit reads for any of these nutrients.

A kit reading might tell you the magnitude of the problem, however, so it may be useful. For example, reducing phosphate from 0.5 ppm is a lot harder than reducing it from 0.1 ppm to levels adequate to slow algae growth. Bear in mind that algae may grow equally well at both phosphate values and getting it a lot lower needs to be the goal. You may see no benefit until it gets down to 0.03 ppm or less, and if there is a lot of algae taking it up, you may need to go below what most kits can accurately detect.

Both nitrate and phosphate can be driven low enough to prevent most algae, although phosphate may be easier since some ways of reducing nitrate may not reduce the natural level of ammonia, which could be enough to supply nitrogen to some types of algae.

There are many ways to reduce nutrients, including phosphate binders (e. g., GFO), growing macroalgae or ATS, denitrators, organic carbon dosing (pellets or soluble versions such as vinegar), skimming, etc.

Discussion of these is certainly beyond this thread, but remember that you can usually attack algae using any of these nutrients they need. The caveat to that statement is that some problems types of algae, such as bryopsis, might require the nutrient levels to be dropped so low to kill it that corals and other organisms we want may begin to suffer. Those pests may require different and possibly more aggressive solutions. Consequently, it can be important to try to identify the type of pest you have before deciding what to do about it.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy
I think the biggest shock to my take on tank algae was actual diving where the reefs had bommies that looked like GHA knotted hades, and then some nice corals. what we would call eutrophic but in actuality it was just that area hadn't been grazed yet. Other areas were pristine and the parrotfish and urchins and tangs by 10 to the 20 were goint to town on it

caymans east end in 96

ever since then I never saw nutrients as the primary way of fighting GHA, it was either animal mechanical or in my case chemical grazing that got the results. Id always wished I had a phosphate tester for those reefs where some areas had GHA and others had none. im assuming theyd have been low to undetectable on our tests, yet still it was only the grazers that controlled whether or not things looked eutrophic.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
gfo is also working extremely well in some of our old pico reefs as a preventative
AndrewK on nano-reef.com has a 4 year 2 gallon reef using gfo and he has it tuned to only require interim partial water changes to be algae free

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be honest no reef aquarium gets rid of algae, instead they get it under control. It's part of an ecosystem.

Algae is mother natures pollution remover. How I got it under control was not fighting it, but allowing it to grow, in an area. I also have a big clean up crew and my tank is spotless now.

Good idea to put it here :)

beaslbob

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with these points.
IMHO
1) you can't prevent algae
2) As stated above algae is the result of having a bioload (nutrients), co2, and light
3) algae, cyano, (and unfortunately) some corals will die off with no light
So it is best to balance out the system with algae and insure the good stuff gets first crack at the nutrients. And the algae picks up whatever is left over in some way the owner finds acceptable.

my .02

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for this. :)

For what it's worth, I remember hearing about people killing bryopsis by raising the MAG to 1500 or so.

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for this. :)

For what it's worth, I remember hearing about people killing bryopsis by raising the MAG to 1500 or so.

Yes, there is a treatment for bryopsis that involves using Kent Tech M to boost magnesium. Whether it is the magnesium, or an impurity in the Tech M is an open question, since a fair number of folks have tried and failed with other brands.

Dalmatia

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, there is a treatment for bryopsis that involves using Kent Tech M to boost magnesium. Whether it is the magnesium, or an impurity in the Tech M is an open question, since a fair number of folks have tried and failed with other brands.

Did you try ho2o?

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did I try it?

No, I've not used hydrogen peroxide in my system, but I don't have a bryopsis problem.

I'm not really a fan of hydrogen peroxide treatment of an entire reef tank, unless you are desperate. :)

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I rate h202 and mg boosting the same efficacy for bryopsis issues based on the tons of threads out there collectively. its hit and miss

one of the neater inversions of the mg approach was to drain the tank and spot treat the bad areas w pasted kalk which they preferred as a runoff compared to h202.

One thing is astoundingly clear in battling algae

what works for our tanks, and what we can use to compile successful after pics in a single thread of hundreds of other tanks are usually very different approaches. Someone can master their own tanks eutrophic balance and then apply the principles they use to another tank and it still runs wild with X invader.

If I had to pick the top two invaders that are the defining moment for a reef tank invasion and the most unbeatable infestations it would be neomeris annulata and invasive ostreopsis/sim dinos

any other form of algae can be beaten, those two we might should run for the hills.

Im on some other forums right now with dinos that have shrugged off everything we've done for them, including every trick known on the web. Im starting to believe there are a limited few dino infestations that simply can't be cured because the keeper wont wait long enough (years/decades) for a limiter to become known. I wouldnt.

The smartest thing you will ever do in any reef tank is remove algae the second you see it, id later.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know kalk is not mg but no edits here lol

thats just the paste they used and after pics looked great

Dalmatia

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did I try it?

No, I've not used hydrogen peroxide in my system, but I don't have a bryopsis problem.

I'm not really a fan of hydrogen peroxide treatment of an entire reef tank, unless you are desperate. :)

So can my drop in magnesium contribute to hair algae growth in my tank?

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So can my drop in magnesium contribute to hair algae growth in my tank?

Not likely, no. Magnesium is not generally used to treat green hair algae. :)

Jimbo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great post. I'm guilty of spending too much time trying to figure out why I have a hair algae problem ( I've always had low phosphates and undetectable Nitrates) After 6 months of it I've decided on carbon dosing ( vinegar ) to help get rid of it.

I started vinegar dosing yesterday and I have a question for you, Randy. Being that my Nitarates are already very low , according to tests and you're supposed to base your vinegar dosage on the reduction in Nitrates, do I just base my dosage on how the algae responds to the dose ? When I see the algae start to die off would that be my maintenance dose?

gcrawford

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 great post. I bought a sea hare today to try and curb my turf algae. Interesting to see nature turn algae to poo....it's not necessarily a beautiful thing, but probably the most interesting thing I've seen in my tank in a while. I do run a GFO reactor, but media is really expensive. This seems like a much more natural way of dealing with algae. Time will tell if my new slug helps with algae issues.

gcrawford

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cell pic of Bob the Blob.....

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1425264755.618173.jpg
    ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1425264755.618173.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 267
OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great post. I'm guilty of spending too much time trying to figure out why I have a hair algae problem ( I've always had low phosphates and undetectable Nitrates) After 6 months of it I've decided on carbon dosing ( vinegar ) to help get rid of it.

I started vinegar dosing yesterday and I have a question for you, Randy. Being that my Nitarates are already very low , according to tests and you're supposed to base your vinegar dosage on the reduction in Nitrates, do I just base my dosage on how the algae responds to the dose ? When I see the algae start to die off would that be my maintenance dose?

FWIW, I base my vinegar dose on the look of the tank. Thinks like rate of algae growth on the glass, etc. how to set a dose depends on what other export methods you use, but just picking a reasonable dose and sticking with it for a while to see what happens to the algae is a fine plan. :)

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 25 30.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 66 80.5%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 13 15.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 8 9.8%
  • Other

Votes: 4 4.9%
Back