Running carbon and GFO/Phosguard in the same reactor?

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So I run GFO and Phosguard (I alternate them when I change media, so I only run one at a time), and I'm thinking about adding carbon to my reactor media arsenal. I am wondering if I can run carbon and phosphate-absorbing media (to avoid naming both again) in the same reactor? Is there any reason why this would be a bad idea? I'm thinking I would put the carbon on bottom and the GFO (or phosguard) on top. Thoughts?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mixed then in a canister where they didn't move, but if you have a reactor where the GFO moves, I'd do as you suggest and put the GFO (edit: should have read GAC, not GFO) on the bottom. :)

Last edited:

Gopi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS has a reactor to run both and a video to show how. They use sponges to hold the two in place so it doesn't tumble.

Rybren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run them both in a single reactor. To be honest, I can't say that I pay attention to which one goes on the bottom. In my reactor, they seem to mix up a fair bit.

Clapp'sCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Totally fine running both in the same reactor. The GFO usually lasts longer so I would use a smaller amount so you dont waste it when the carbon becomes exhausted. Carbon is usually heavier so regardless of putting it on top or bottom it usually works its way towards the bottom.

joshporksandwich

Zoa addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mixed then in a canister where they didn't move, but if you have a reactor where the GFO moves, I'd do as you suggest and put the GFO on the bottom. :)

Some that has been in the aquarium industry 50+ years told me the GFO has to go second if not the small particles clog the carbon and make it useless. I've been doing so for 3 years. Have I been doing it wrong?

bboyvital

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pain in the rear to clean out but you can do it. As joshpork mentioned I would put the carbon on the bottom. It is more likely the gfo will need to be replaced before the carbon. Then again my tank has high phophates. When i was doing this i put one of the sponges the reactor came with between the two media.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mistyped. I meant put the GAC on the bottom as was suggested, to keep it from moving. I'll edit my post.

In general, I like the idea of GAC first so it binds organics first and leaves the GFO with less organics taking up expensive GFO.

As to GFO clogging GAC, that may be true but it seems unlikely to me that most GFO particles are small enough to get into a GAC pore.

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks everyone! I'm going to give it a try! :thumb:

mike007

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you place the gac first how will you get the gfo to tumble? Is It really necessary for gfo to tumble?

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you place the gac first how will you get the gfo to tumble? Is It really necessary for gfo to tumble?

Putting GAC in first means it will be on the bottom which will allow the GFO (which will be on top) to tumble just as Randy describes.

mike007

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since most gfo reactors fill from the bottom I think the gac will slow down the flow enough to keep gfo from tumbling. But I don't have that issue because I use dual reactors.

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run 2 reactors on one pump but I keep it separate. Right now I actually have 3 reactors on one pump because I had a need for cuprasorb and an extra reactor laying around. It flows just well enough to tumble the gfo and cuprasorb as well. I like the point about running through the gac first though, I have been doing it the other way around and my gfo exhausts within 2 weeks so i will change it up and see if I can do a little better.

Jerzyray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mixed then in a canister where they didn't move, but if you have a reactor where the GFO moves, I'd do as you suggest and put the GFO (edit: should have read GAC, not GFO) on the bottom. :)
can i just use some thing in my 2LF reactor( like there mesh dics for biopelet) to hold every thing tight, you both dont moive?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can i just use some thing in my 2LF reactor( like there mesh dics for biopelet) to hold every thing tight, you both dont moive?

That can work, but perhaps not as well for the GFO as if it is tumbling a bit.

Back