false readng?

Wiz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, I've been trying to balance calcium and alkalinity. Been using baked baking soda and reef calcium. Can dosing one give a false reading on the other? I still havnt gotten to read those articles yet. With xmas and all. I will though. Also how high can calcium go up until it causes trouble? Thx

OP
OP
Wiz

Wiz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my calcium was dropping like crazy while I had my alk up to get rid of dinos. (Finally gone). So I started adding calcium while still dosing baking soda at the same time. Or in intervals I should say. The calcium would not go up. I stopped dosing the soda since the dinos were gone. Now my calcium tested around 740! Alk was at 7.8. So I am now dosing the soda again to get alk back up. If one is dependent on the other there must be a balance. Or numbers that will hold for both. What are they. I wanted to keep my alk up. Between 9-10. Can I do that without having a low calcium. The soda I'm dosing now is lowering the calcium? What is t he balance? Will the temp calcium of 740 hurt anything?

OP
OP
Wiz

Wiz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your a man of few words randy :) you must get tired of answering the same questions. The only thing I can't get from your answer is dangerous levels. The 740. What is too high or low for calcium? And also alk. I know the targets. But what are the extremes? If you don't mind.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recommend calcium to be 350-450 ppm, but higher levels seem not to be any concern except for increased abiotic precipitation of calcium carbonate. Lower than 350 will start to impact hard coral growth.

I recommend alk to be 7-11 dKH except in a ULNS system where 7-8 dKH is better. Much her higher than this range may be undesirable for some creatures and will accelerate precipitation quite a bit. Lower than 7 dKH will greatly slow hard coral growth.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 24 31.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 61 79.2%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 12 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 9.1%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.2%
Back