Ozone question

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a question for all you ozone experts. I bought a small Enaly 100 plus generator from BRS. I got the BRS probe for it and have it running through my vertex skimmer. I know skimmer isn't the best, but I don't have room for anything more. I have carbon on the water exit and carbon on the skimmer lid using a decidedly not fancy Tupperware container that I put holes in with tubing matching the skimmer lid holes so the fit is tight and the air is vented through carbon. The ozone has an air drier.

I notice the ozone does not change my ORP much ~250-270, if at all. I have read Randy's fantastic articles and realize this my just be the case with ozone, but here is the thing, the generator is adjustable and has a reading on a digital display. If I turn it all the way down it reads 1mg/hr but it doesn't make any noise so I don't know if it's working, but raising the dial much so the machine makes noise (like it's running), even at 10mg/hr on the display I get a strong ozone smell. I don't think there are any leaks.

I wonder if the display is just preset and if the scale is wrong. Would 10mg/hr make such a strong smell being passed over carbon? At that level I wonder if the machine isn't really running at a much higher level. If I go to 50mg/hr I can smell it across the entire room.

Thoughts??

EDIT: I really just want ozone for clarity and combating some of the soft coral and gorg (I have a huge corky finger) chemical fighting.

OP
OP
hart24601

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply! I appreciate it. Can't say I am a fan of the generator based off the past week, the middle ground is very very small, but after dropping the cash I hate to shelf it.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 32 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%

Back