interesting discovery

KorD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was not sure where to post this, but this seems to be the most fitting topic selection.

I was breaking down a nano tank from my sons room.. Everything was removed a little over a month ago (Ok I get it... I'm slacking)

The only stuff left in the tank was 1/2 tank of water, one shelf rock, and also the substrate... Low and behold to my surprise there were a rapid growth of small feather duster worms and also amphipods still surviving in the tank. The water flow has been off since I removed the tank mates and put them in my DT, there was not a heater running, and no lights on the tank...

The readings on the tank (had to test it for the fun of it)
pH: 7.5
Temp: 60 degrees F
Specific Gravity: 1.050
Nitrites: .25ppm
Nitrates: 5ppm

I would not have thought anything would still be living in that condition, more or less I am acclimating some of the pods to add to my DT, and the shelf rock is going to be added to my sump...

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wonder why the temp was so low? I would have thought it would have been around room temp. It's amazing how tough some of our critters actually are.

JimWelsh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've kept certain species of copepod alive in 1000 mL Erlenmeyer flasks with no food, no air, no nothin' for literally months at a time. +1 what salty dog said about "how tough...."

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is how the recent trend of biotope aquariums got such a following, most of those are perfectly stilled aquariums. Pj reefs is a nice little business selling kits for these kinds of tanks

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.3%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 28 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back