VSV Solution

StikHedRon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am wanting to create a solution of vodka, sugar and vinegar. What would be a good starting measurement for each carbon source to mix together?

OP
OP
StikHedRon

StikHedRon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I was reading this and this article is different than some of the other readings I came across. Another one was 125ml vodka, 50ml of vinegar and 1 tbsp of sugar. I was just concerned about the significant difference in vodka qty.

OP
OP
StikHedRon

StikHedRon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not really any particular reason, just trying to feed all strains of bacteria in the aquarium to bring down no3 and po4 and to get rid of cyano that I have right now. I've read that sometimes but not very often a mono culture may occur. So what would it really hurt to dose all three. I've also read that sugar may feed the cyano so I may have to eliminate it from the equation. Whats your thoughts on the mixture Randy Holmes-Farley?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not really any particular reason, just trying to feed all strains of bacteria in the aquarium to bring down no3 and po4 and to get rid of cyano that I have right now. I've read that sometimes but not very often a mono culture may occur. So what would it really hurt to dose all three. I've also read that sugar may feed the cyano so I may have to eliminate it from the equation. Whats your thoughts on the mixture @Randy Holmes-Farley?

I'm not a fan of sugar because I've heard of too many times folks having issues with it. It also browned organisms for me, but that was just a single dose.

IMO, the monoculture idea is not important. I’ve never heard any plausible argument why dosing multiple organics at once is desirable, but many people do it and there is likely no harm in doing so. The idea that multiple organics drive a diversity of bacterial species is just speculation, and even if true, I don’t see the benefit.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back