Red Sea NoPox users

nicodim55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question for you Red Sea NoPox users. How long does it take for Nitrates to begin dropping when using this product? I'm a week in and my Nitrates are the same at (60 ppm I know it's high but I have no SPS mostly LPS and lots of fish), before I started using NoPox tested today and it's still at 60ppm water is a bit cloudy too
frown.png
. I've read some people having good results within a week, what am I doing wrong? My tank is 150g and I'm using the recommended dosage daily, should I increase the dosage or keep following the recommended? So frustrated right now any opinions, suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NoPox is largely a mixture of acetic acid (vinegar) and vodka (ethanol).

As with all folks dosing these products, the drop depends on how much you are dosing, and whether the bacteria have grown enough to be able to process the organics being added.

IMO, one week is generally too short to expect much effect as most people slowly ramp up the dose over a period of weeks.

Water a bit cloudy suggest some bacterial growth. Hopefully more of it will be benthic (attached to surfaces) in the future.

OP
OP
nicodim55

nicodim55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NoPox is largely a mixture of acetic acid (vinegar) and vodka (ethanol).

As with all folks dosing these products, the drop depends on how much you are dosing, and whether the bacteria have grown enough to be able to process the organics being added.

IMO, one week is generally too short to expect much effect as most people slowly ramp up the dose over a period of weeks.

Water a bit cloudy suggest some bacterial growth. Hopefully more of it will be benthic (attached to surfaces) in the future.

Thanks Randy, I'm following the recommended dosage not to overdose. I'm gonna give it another week and post the results of the Nitrates next Saturday:)

OP
OP
nicodim55

nicodim55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Top pic before NoPox you can really tell the difference in water clarity:(

IMG_6418.jpg

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Randy, I'm following the recommended dosage not to overdose. I'm gonna give it another week and post the results of the Nitrates next Saturday:)

Ok, sounds good. :)

lionfish5740

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It took 2-3 weeks when I first started carbon dosing but I didn't start at full strength. IMO, If your water is getting cloudy then you might want to lower your dosage amount some. You didn't mention it but I assume you have a good skimmer to remove the growing bacterial population??
Be careful with your lighting also because if your water clears up too quickly then your corals might bleach from getting more light than they're used to. I did that the first time also.

OP
OP
nicodim55

nicodim55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It took 2-3 weeks when I first started carbon dosing but I didn't start at full strength. IMO, If your water is getting cloudy then you might want to lower your dosage amount some. You didn't mention it but I assume you have a good skimmer to remove the growing bacterial population??
Be careful with your lighting also because if your water clears up too quickly then your corals might bleach from getting more light than they're used to. I did that the first time also.

Thank you for your input:) yes I have a good skimmer I have this. So in your opinion I should lower the recommended dosage?

IMG_6342.jpg

lionfish5740

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO yes to lowering the dosage for now, you can increase it again later. That skimmer should work without doubt.

You don't have to dose the full amount for the bacterial population to increase. You're dosing a limiting growth factor so it will increase the population anyway.
Dosing too much will cause explosive growth which makes the water appear cloudy. If you've ever looked at the forums for people just starting with carbon dosing (VSV, biopellets, or these mixed liquid forms) you will find this was an issue that some had, sometimes to such an extent that they couldn't see anything in their tank :wacko:

Try not to drop you nitrates too fast so that you don't stress out your corals. Another reason it's better to start slowly with this IMO :smile:
I'm currently using the NOPOX in my tank and I just adjust the dosage as necessary to export the right amount of NO3.

OP
OP
nicodim55

nicodim55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO yes to lowering the dosage for now, you can increase it again later. That skimmer should work without doubt.

You don't have to dose the full amount for the bacterial population to increase. You're dosing a limiting growth factor so it will increase the population anyway.
Dosing too much will cause explosive growth which makes the water appear cloudy. If you've ever looked at the forums for people just starting with carbon dosing (VSV, biopellets, or these mixed liquid forms) you will find this was an issue that some had, sometimes to such an extent that they couldn't see anything in their tank :wacko:

Try not to drop you nitrates too fast so that you don't stress out your corals. Another reason it's better to start slowly with this IMO :smile:
I'm currently using the NOPOX in my tank and I just adjust the dosage as necessary to export the right amount of NO3.

Ok thank you, so currently I'm dosing 20ml daily would it be a good idea to cut it in 1/2 or more? BTW the tank is 150g

mikellini

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on your bioload and water volume (assuming close to 150 gallons) I'd say 20ml is a pretty high dose to start at. I'd cut it in half, dose for another week, and then check again, and go up by 3-4ml/week. You might eventually need more than 20ml, but I doubt it... With a fairly high bioload, I was using 10ml on 100 gallons to reduce nitrates initially

OP
OP
nicodim55

nicodim55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on your bioload and water volume (assuming close to 150 gallons) I'd say 20ml is a pretty high dose to start at. I'd cut it in half, dose for another week, and then check again, and go up by 3-4ml/week. You might eventually need more than 20ml, but I doubt it... With a fairly high bioload, I was using 10ml on 100 gallons to reduce nitrates initially

I have a really heavy bioload and feed heavily too. Ok I will start at 10ml tomorrow and for the rest of the week. I will test again next Saturday and keep you guys posted with the results. Thanks again:)

OP
OP
nicodim55

nicodim55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, sounds good. :)

Well, today is officially the 2nd week of dosing NoPox. Tested Nitrate today and it didn't make any difference:( I am currently dosing 10ml for my 150g daily. Should I increase it now to 20ml? I started the 1st week with 20ml but the water got cloudy so I reduced it to 10ml this week. Any suggestions or comments are welcome. It makes me want to give up but I know I shouldn't

mikellini

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do 12 ml for four days, then 14ml for 4 days, then check again. I wouldn't increase it any faster than this unless you want another bacterial bloom. You will eventually get results. You will know it's working when your skimmer production increases

OP
OP
nicodim55

nicodim55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do 12 ml for four days, then 14ml for 4 days, then check again. I wouldn't increase it any faster than this unless you want another bacterial bloom. You will eventually get results. You will know it's working when your skimmer production increases

Ok I'll do that and The skimmer has been working like crazy

OP
OP
nicodim55

nicodim55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: Well, I took a sample of my water to the LFS and sure enough it's the same reading
frown.png
So, I can rule out the type of tester I use. I did a 25g water change yesterday and another 30g today, at this point I just don't know what to do anymore
a43.gif

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Ole Man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At 60ppm like you said Ibelieve along with the doseing I would get started on a water change also,jmo....

OP
OP
nicodim55

nicodim55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At 60ppm like you said Ibelieve along with the doseing I would get started on a water change also,jmo....

I have done the water change and some ppl said not to do too much as it would cycle my tank all over again by removing the good stuff. Even after changing it there was no difference in the nitrates level although the reason for my water change so close together is that one of the news got sucked up in the powerhead. So rather than have it toxify the tank I did a water change.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 34.6%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 35 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back