Blizzard preparations

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know most of you are not expecting a blizzard in the next few days, but I am, so I thought I'd show what I do to prepare:

1. Raise the house temperature a bit, in case of loss of power. Daytime temp raised from normal 72 to about 74. Night time set back not used, instead of the usual 60's.

2. Raise the tank temp from the usual 80 deg F to 82 deg F in case of power and consequent heating failure.

3. Double check the battery backup that it is fully charged and working right. Mine is two big industrial batteries in parallel. It powers only the display tank circulation pumps (3 Tunze pumps) and should be able to run for at least 48 h.

4. Feed the fish earlier in the day so in case they may be dark for a couple of days, they have at least eaten something. No food for them if the power fails to reduce potential for ammonia accumulation in the display tank.

5. When the winds get strong enough, I will probably shut off the vinegar dosing so there is no acetate to consume O2.

6. Make sure the living room is fully stocked with wood for back up heating in the fireplace.

7. If power is lost, open tank top to allow more O2 to get to the water surface and CO2 to leave.

If the power goes off and then back on again:

1. Check that all pumps start up properly and are not seized with calcium carbonate.
2. Restart feeding only if it seems power won't be lost again.

Anyone else have any ideas that might be useful?

blue2337

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its not fun, speaking from experience. I only had oiece of mind after getting a generator. NY city just put out a warning of 24-36". Hope that not true.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mayor De Blasio (NY City mayor) just cut into the basketball game on the tv and announced that it is potentially the worst storm NYC wil be seeing......24 to 36 inches.

I'm all set if we lose power....with a generator. However, my snowblower only handles about a foot and a half, so that might be problematic. Otherwise my wife is looking forward to a couple days off from the little brats at school....she's a teacher.

Zippy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same here. After losing power multiple times a whole house generator with automatic transfer switch was my peace of mind. I got tired of pitching fridge contents and since we have a well no running water. No more worries.

Gopi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm kinda lucky...my neighborhood has buried lines and we seem to be on the same section of the grid as something really important. During our last ice storm, people in surrounding areas lost power when we were without for less than 30 seconds. Extra good because I don't have generators or battery back ups yet... What do you recommend for battery back up?

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a generator a couple of weeks ago. Not big enough to run the whole house but big enough to run the tanks, the freezer, fridge, a couple of 1500 watt heaters, a few lights, the TV and to run the air handler on the heating system. One rick of wood in the garage and another half on the deck covered with a tarp.

Stephanie11

Fragaholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I turn off the skimmer over night and if the power flickers. I've had skimmer overflows before when the tank drains into the sump and the sump water is higher than normal on start up.

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm from Canada so cold is our specialty :D

However my first thought is to buy a ups, but if that's too expensive buy multiple battery operated air pumps to turn on when the power goes out. Here in Canada the power rarely goes out in the winter, but the summer is a different story with lightening storms breaking power lines.

If your really desperate for keeping the tank warm when power goes out any form of heat conserver like a blanket wrapped around the tank would help. You can also monitor the temp with a thermometer and boil a water pot on the fire then float it in the tank if it gets too cold to raise the temp.

Putting over the windows a blanket stuffed over a basement window or covering with plastic and taping around the window ledge so to prevent air loss will help a lot for conserving heat.

As far as oxygen goes all I can say is don't stir up any sand or freak the fish out so that they stir up the sand, as O2 could get low. However I'm sure Randy would know an appropriate dose, but hydrogen peroxide could be added to the tank every so often, or even just if the fish seem stressed and troble with respiration.

If possible keep light on the tank, the sun, or even a flashlight will produce photosynthesis to make O2.

That's about all I can think of.

Last edited:

a49panhead

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cut a 100" extension cord and wire it to my boiler. Mine is a simple 2 wire system. Plug it to the generator and bam. Get and hit water. Then one to my tank. All is good

fishmaster818

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know most of you are not expecting a blizzard in the next few days, but I am, so I thought I'd show what I do to prepare:

1. Raise the house temperature a bit, in case of loss of power. Daytime temp raised from normal 72 to about 74. Night time set back not used, instead of the usual 60's.

2. Raise the tank temp from the usual 80 deg F to 82 deg F in case of power and consequent heating failure.

3. Double check the battery backup that it is fully charged and working right. Mine is two big industrial batteries in parallel. It powers only the display tank circulation pumps (3 Tunze pumps) and should be able to run for at least 48 h.

4. Feed the fish earlier in the day so in case they may be dark for a couple of days, they have at least eaten something. No food for them if the power fails to reduce potential for ammonia accumulation in the display tank.

5. When the winds get strong enough, I will probably shut off the vinegar dosing so there is no acetate to consume O2.

6. Make sure the living room is fully stocked with wood for back up heating in the fireplace.

7. If power is lost, open tank top to allow more O2 to get to the water surface and CO2 to leave.

If the power goes off and then back on again:

1. Check that all pumps start up properly and are not seized with calcium carbonate.
2. Restart feeding only if it seems power won't be lost again.

Anyone else have any ideas that might be useful?

How long after the power goes out should begin to worry about o2 1-2 hours or 4 hours

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long after the power goes out should begin to worry about o2 1-2 hours or 4 hours

Depends on the tank, but 2 h of no circulation can begin to be a problem from an O2 perspective.

Marquiseo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Theoretical Idea for heating:

-Buy multiple heating packs
-Place inside air tight/liquid tight plastic container such as a 2 Liter soda bottle, Gatorade bottle, or leak proof microwave bowls.
-Rubber band a piece of rock to it to keep it submerged.
-Place it in tank to keep water warm.

It is something to get you guys thinking of ways to keep your tank warm. Best of luck to everyone in that area.

Last edited:

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately I am away through Wednesday night. My power loss contingency plans are good if I am home, not so good if I'm not: though my wife is home, so that helps):

1. Circulation - ecotech battery backup ought to power my MP60 for a while (ecotech says 20 hours, wanna bet it's less :)); wife will power up the portable greater for a few hours during the day, so hopefully the battery will recharge a bit, and the main pump can run for a while.
2. Heating - I also raise the house to 75 ahead of a major storm; can also run one of my 300 watt heaters, though not enough to maintain on a 400 gal system, but it will help.
3. Lights - not going to worry about that until I get home

My three QT tanks are out of luck. Also, not sure what to do if my ATS screen dries out. Start a new one, or rehydrate the dried out one? Fingers crossed that all the summer tree work that the utility did will mean a less venerable grid.

ptreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don't have or cant get generator....
Harbor freghts are cheap and pretty good. 4000w will power a lot and run a long time!

full tank of gas in cars....extra 5g jug of gas...
a power invertor with enuf watts to run tank necassary equip. Like skimmer, PH or 2 return pump and heater. Lights not a big deal for a few days. Or run then sparingly.
Attach invertor to car battery and let car run.
Also will probably need extension cords!

sureal00

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i stopped vodka dosing last night in preparations for the storm. Unfortunately i don't have any battery powered equipment like pumps.Illl just hope for the best.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 124 59.0%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 62 29.5%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 75 35.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 36 17.1%
  • Other

Votes: 62 29.5%
Back