Question about KNO3 dosing

candcreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy....I have a question about raising my nitrates in my tank....I have heard that using this stuff Potassium Nitrate | KNO3 | Green Leaf Aquariums will accomplish that....my concern is by using this wouldn't it raise my potassium levels as well? Have you heard anything about this product? If so, how would I go about making a solution for dosing? For example...how many teaspoons to gallons of rodi water? Any side effects I should be concerned with? Is it clean enough to use in my tank? Any help or guidance would be awesome.....by the way I feed heavy and have quite a few fish in my tank....levels read as follows.....0 on nitrates and .o3 on phosphates....nitrates are tested by API (I know not the best) and phosphates tested by Hanna checker....the few sps I have are pale in color at best....tank is mainly lps and zoas....my alk is 8.6 and calc is 420.....

Thx
Conan

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The potassium increase won't be significant. The product contains more nitrate than potassium, and raising nitrate from 0 to 1 ppm only boost potassium from 400 to 400.6 ppm. :)

OP
OP
C

candcreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have the ability to weigh it....I can buy a scale if you need me to, to make it easier....thx and if you could let me know!

Thx
Conan

OP
OP
C

candcreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy....I have heard that 18 teaspoons to 500 ml of rodi water makes the solution for dosing....would this be correct?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can make any solution you want. That is just one of an infinite range of possibilities.

For rough purposes, I'd assume a level teaspoon weighs 5 grams. That 5 grams of potassium nitrate will contain about 3.1 grams of nitrate. Adding all of that to 100 gallons of aquarium water will boost nitrate by about 8 ppm. :)

OP
OP
C

candcreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok...thank you so much for the help on this...I am going to start dosing as soon as I get the stuff in the mail....I'll keep everyone posted as to the effects this has on my tank....

tonymission

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can make any solution you want. That is just one of an infinite range of possibilities.

For rough purposes, I'd assume a level teaspoon weighs 5 grams. That 5 grams of potassium nitrate will contain about 3.1 grams of nitrate. Adding all of that to 100 gallons of aquarium water will boost nitrate by about 8 ppm. :)

That's perfect, thanks!

Damon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So randy, question, for a stock solution in say 500ml of water, what would you add? I plan on dosing hopefully 10ml a day? I would like to keep the nitrate at say 2ppm? Mine should be here tomorrow..

Last edited:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So randy, question, for a stock solution in say 500ml of water, what would you add? I plan on dosing hopefully 10ml a day? I would like to keep the nitrate at say 2ppm? Mine should be here tomorrow..

How much water is in the tank?

Damon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oops, sorry, fell asleep. Total of 65 gallons..

And thank you also for helping..

Damon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, i figured it out.. 20tbps in 500ml of ro/di allows me to dose 2ml a day (with my dosing pump) and end up with a concentration of 0.25 Nitrate. I am using calcium nitrate from Amazon NPK 15-0-0.

Now, i will have to see what the system eats up overnight and adjust accordingly..

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back