How many of you dose your alk and calcium equally?

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm curious. Recently, I have seen some people on Facebook saying they dose alk and calcium equally, but everything I've read or heard from most hobbyists is that those should both be measured individually and dosed in accordance with what your tank uses. How many of you are equal part dosers? Why?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone who uses only a CaCO3/CO3 reactor or limewater (kalkwasser) doses exactly equally. I'm in the latter category.

Unfortunately, two part users seem to think that because they can dose unevenly, they should do so. In most cases, they could dose evenly and not have any issues. Especially since the exact calcium level between about 400 and 550 ppm is essentially unimportant. I think a lot of reefers would have less anxiety about dosing if they just dosed equal parts to maintain alkalinity, and then made occasional corrections to calcium if it ever actually got too low or too high.

The primary reason to dose significantly unevenly for extended periods is if water changes are messing with the levels and you are trying to use dosing to correct that (or else the two part is made incorrectly somehow).

Last edited:

gettaReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy, and others that can help,

I have been dosing for about a year now using 2part, and dosing alk and cal unevenly. I seem to be dosing much more alk...I dose about 2.5oz of alk daily, and maybe dose calcium once per week if even that. It seems my alk drops daily where calcium drops at a much slower rate. Would you suggest I begin dosing in equal volumes of alk and cal daily? Would I then dose 2.5oz alk and 2.5 cal? I didn't dose in equal amounts as I believed this would increase my calcium to undesirable high level. I maintain my alk 8dkh and cal at 440ppm. Also, if the calcium were to become too high, what method is advised to reduce it? Water changes? And if so, how big of a water change would you advise (e.g. percent of tank volume - I have a 75 gallon reef)?

I've also heard that you shouldn't dose alk and cal at the same time. Is there any truth to this? I dose manually currently. If I were to dose alk and cal in equal volumes, would it be advised to dose at the same time or how much time needs to pass after you dose one before you can dose the other?

I recently got the BRS kalkwasser package (I also use BRS 2 part). I have been considering using kalk due to the benefits; raise ph, easier to dose, etc.. I plan to put it in my 5 gal ATO and let the evaporation rate dose for me (my evaporation rate is pretty consistent). Based on my current dosing amount of 2 part, how much kalk should I place in my ATO reservoir per gallon to begin with? What is the recommended amount of kalk per gallon in an ATO for people just beginning to dose kalk? And finally, what is the recommended way to mix the kalk powder in the water reservoir? I understand that one dose not want to dose the powder on the bottom of the reservoir after mixing, so is it recommended to put the dosing tube just a little above the powder residue? And when dosing kalk using the ATO method, is it necessary to stir the ATO water every few days or so?

Haha I'm sorry for all the questions. I just want to make sure I am dosing correctly with my 2part and begin dosing kalk the right way. Thank you so much for all your help!

rayn

Bluefin Believer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose two part and dose equally. Between that and my water changes, everything stays where I want it.

I would think dosing unequally would make a need for more monitoring of levels. I can check weekly or biweekly and they are consistent.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy, and others that can help,

I have been dosing for about a year now using 2part, and dosing alk and cal unevenly. I seem to be dosing much more alk...I dose about 2.5oz of alk daily, and maybe dose calcium once per week if even that. It seems my alk drops daily where calcium drops at a much slower rate. Would you suggest I begin dosing in equal volumes of alk and cal daily? Would I then dose 2.5oz alk and 2.5 cal? I didn't dose in equal amounts as I believed this would increase my calcium to undesirable high level. I maintain my alk 8dkh and cal at 440ppm. Also, if the calcium were to become too high, what method is advised to reduce it? Water changes? And if so, how big of a water change would you advise (e.g. percent of tank volume - I have a 75 gallon reef)?

I've also heard that you shouldn't dose alk and cal at the same time. Is there any truth to this? I dose manually currently. If I were to dose alk and cal in equal volumes, would it be advised to dose at the same time or how much time needs to pass after you dose one before you can dose the other?

I recently got the BRS kalkwasser package (I also use BRS 2 part). I have been considering using kalk due to the benefits; raise ph, easier to dose, etc.. I plan to put it in my 5 gal ATO and let the evaporation rate dose for me (my evaporation rate is pretty consistent). Based on my current dosing amount of 2 part, how much kalk should I place in my ATO reservoir per gallon to begin with? What is the recommended amount of kalk per gallon in an ATO for people just beginning to dose kalk? And finally, what is the recommended way to mix the kalk powder in the water reservoir? I understand that one dose not want to dose the powder on the bottom of the reservoir after mixing, so is it recommended to put the dosing tube just a little above the powder residue? And when dosing kalk using the ATO method, is it necessary to stir the ATO water every few days or so?

Haha I'm sorry for all the questions. I just want to make sure I am dosing correctly with my 2part and begin dosing kalk the right way. Thank you so much for all your help!

There is nothing "wrong" with dosing unevenly, it is just not needed for most people if you are not trying to keep calcium lower than your salt mix. But if calcium is actually getting higher than you want, then by all means dose unevenly.

Dose the parts so that one mixes in before adding the other.

The limewater (kalkwasser) is about 47 times less potent than the two part. Do you evaporate enough to permit that?

If you are delivering limewater from a settled reservoir, do not stir it after the initial mixing.

Last edited:

Z06-Hec

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may have misunderstood this 2 part dosing....
I have 2 part but i hardly ever use it unless i test and see something low...
the few times i have dosed my alk has been fine so i usually end up just dosing the calcium to bring it up... I hardly ever have to dose alk.
On that note, i have cut back on water changes, and have been dosing Vodka for the nitrates/phosphates. I also run GFO
I test weekly if not more frequent and as i said... alk is normally fine around 8 or so and calcium sometimes drops below 410 and i just add some calcium.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may have misunderstood this 2 part dosing....
I have 2 part but i hardly ever use it unless i test and see something low...
the few times i have dosed my alk has been fine so i usually end up just dosing the calcium to bring it up... I hardly ever have to dose alk.
On that note, i have cut back on water changes, and have been dosing Vodka for the nitrates/phosphates. I also run GFO
I test weekly if not more frequent and as i said... alk is normally fine around 8 or so and calcium sometimes drops below 410 and i just add some calcium.

If you do not need alkalinity, you do not need the two part. If you need alk only once in a while, the two part is a fine way to meet that need.

If alk is fine and calcium is low without dosing, that is either low salinity, a low calcium mix (such as Instant Ocean), or testing error. Correcting the low calcium mix with the calcium of a two part is OK, but may be unnecessarily expensive, and simple calcium chloride is fine for that purpose.

Stubaca

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have read that you should dose equally and never at the same time unless you want that white chalky buildup on your pumps and heaters and other equipment. The water becomes over saturated when dosing both at the same time! Never ever dose both at same time! I dose calcium at top of hour then alk at 30 minutes past the hour! Much better results this way! No more white chalky mess!!! Check this article out!! https://joejaworski.wordpress.com

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 98 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back