Macro algae functions.

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello R2R!
I've read a few times, here and elsewhere, that macro algae can replenish certain things in the water column that are vital for coral health.
I understand how it reduces nasty things in the water column, but how does it add good things? I'm not exactly sure what, if anything it is supposed to replenish, it's just something I've read.
Thanks in advance!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't believe that macroalgae adds anything to the water that is needed for coral health.

It might release some organic matter, and that might end up as coral food directly or indirectly, but that is a very minor effect, if real. This released organics might be more of a negative effect than a positive one.

mtfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with Randy on this one. The macroalgae acts as a reservoir for nutrients. When it grows it removes nutrients from the water. If you harvest this algae then it is removed from the system. If it starts to die back then it releases the nutrients back into the system. I have lots of macro in my tank and use it as part of the filtration by removing it as it grows, sort of an in-tank algae turf scrubber.

jmarcink91

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only thing I can think of that it might help "replenish" could be oxygen levels. Macro algae will consume some CO2 and give off oxygen in return. Other than that I agree with the above two statements.

beaslbob

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My take is that while the main thing is the ammonia/nitrate/co2 reductions, the macros themselves are food for fish and cleaner crews and provide an environment for pods as well. So I guess those would be good things the macros returns.
basically you recycle fish wastes into fish food and oxygen.

OP
OP
tyler1503

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone. It didn't make sense to me that macro algae would do much as to replenish anything. From what I've been reading, it seems some people believe macro could replenish trace elements or something :S

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone. It didn't make sense to me that macro algae would do much as to replenish anything. From what I've been reading, it seems some people believe macro could replenish trace elements or something :S

As noted, it would only deplete trace elements. :)

cope413

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It also provides a food source and hiding place for pods, so in that way it "adds" that to the water which can be very helpful to both coral and fish.

Back