Ammonia question

KorD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am just running a frag tank with no substrate, basic canister filter and LPS/SPS corals. I noticed my ammonia levels got a little high and did a water change to bring them back down.. I know they might climb again, but will the ammonia levels of 1.0 and under hurt the corals and enough to not recover from?
I know about ammonia levels with inverts and fish, but could not find anything about a just bare bottom coral frag tank

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
KorD

KorD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've not seen specific numbers for ammonia tox data for corals. I would not assume they are resistant to it, but they may not be as sensitive as fish. I'd try to keep the ammonia below about 0.25 ppm.

I discuss ammonia here:

Ammonia and the Reef Aquarium by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

funny that you post that link, that was one of the pages I already read through :)
Thanks for your input.. I will be keeping a close on on everything, but so far it seems like the corals are still happy.

gtbarsi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think that any ammonia reading would be indicative that you need more bio filtration, or your system failed to fully cycle. You could consider using a ceramic media like the ones that BRS has from Eheim, or Marinepure, and put it on the bottom of the tank perhaps under egg crate, just make sure you have plenty of flow and that you clean up and detritus that builds up in the tank. You could probably put some ceramic bio media in your canister filter as well but I think having it in the tank with your power heads pushing the water around is going to do more for you.

Another thing to consider is that that unless you keep your canister filter really clean it can become a nitrate factory. If you are feeding the corals at all you are going to need to clean that canister filter 1-3 times a week as the mechanical filters in it are what catch and hold detritus and allow it to break down releasing lots of extra nutrients in to the system.

Finally do not forget that you do not have any other nutrient export process so frequent and consistent water changes are your friend. They will deplete any excess nutrients, and add to your CA, ALK, and MAG.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 109 58.0%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 55 29.3%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 67 35.6%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 32 17.0%
  • Other

Votes: 57 30.3%
Back