New nitrate article posted today

jabeuy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good read, thanks Randy.

I've got a small patch of hair algae in a hidden back corner of my tank. And in one section of my back chambers (have an AIO with the back exposed to the lights) which was supposed to be space for a refugium, I've got brownish hair algae flowing, stuck to the glass haha.

API tests are telling me my nitrates are 0. Not too sure about their accuracy, but I think the hair algaes are helping consume the nitrates. I'm now seriously considering some sort of turf scrubber so I'll at least have control of where it grows lol.

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whenever you have hair algae, you have enough of all of nitrogen (usually nitrate), phosphate, iron, and other trace elements. Reducing any of these to the point where they are limiting the growth can work.

jabeuy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whenever you have hair algae, you have enough of all of nitrogen (usually nitrate), phosphate, iron, and other trace elements. Reducing any of these to the point where they are limiting the growth can work.
It might actually be bryopsis in the back corner of my tank . Is it the same case?

I had it a few months ago but it naturally went away. But now it's back in that localized area.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 26.9%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 43 82.7%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 13.5%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 5.8%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.8%
Back