IO REEF CRYSTALS vs. RED SEA CORAL PRO - Which is better and why?

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ok. I've been using IO Reef Crystals ever since I started reefing, but lately I've been considering trying Red Sea Coral Pro bc I know several reefers with stellar tanks who swear by the RSCP. I knew RSCP was more expensive than RC but when I looked at the price difference, it's $20 more for a 175-gallon bucket of RSCP than the 200-gallon box of RC. I'm willing to bite the bullet, but I'm wondering if I'm actually upgrading to something that really is better. Can someone clarify? I know RSCP is an evaporated salt, so that's one way it is touted as better than RC, but what about chemical make up? Help me with this decision, please!

palmer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Used both

I have used both and all I can see different is the mix residue- Red sea mixes easy and clear while RC I have to make stil for awhile to get it clear. I dose part2 so any salt is ok for me . I often switch between the 2 and sometimes oceanic - just depends what's on sale

mbmax

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seem great tanks with both salts mixes....... check TOTM many of them use regular IO.

RacingTiger03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Call me crazy, but I've been getting significantly better growth since switching to RSCP, from RC and initially IO. Personally to me, that aside, it was a very pleasurable transition for me. I hate the residue of RC, and how it mixes. RSCP mixes good in 30 minutes, and IME is PH stable and ready to dump easily in 2 hours. My alk is a touch low come next week for WC time, but I could easily dose that up. Something about the RSCP with weekly water changes has stimulated growth in my softies that was missing before. I've always had great growth from my LPS *shrug*. Polyp extension also seems a bit better, but that could be 1,000,000,000 other factors, lol. Also Most places I see the price difference in the 100gallon bucket for both is more like $10 (I have a smaller tank, so that's all I buy at a time anyway). Well worth it just to not have my hands feel like I've been playing in sand all day when I'm finished mixing water :)... I give Oceanic the nod in stellar mixing also, sometimes that one was OK in as little as 5-10 minutes... *shrug* I always found myself having to dose sooner with that one though.

LetItReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's the Calcium, Alk and Mag levels on RSCP? Would like to switch brand, currently using IO. Not certain how accurate this info I found. Thanks!
salt.jpg

salt.jpg

Last edited:

ifarmer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's the Calcium, Alk and Mag levels on RSCP? Would like to switch brand, currently using IO. Not certain how accurate this info I found. Thanks! salt.jpg

salt.jpg

Since the reccommended Cal=400 and alk = (8-11).
this would means that both Red Sea Coral Pro and Reef Crystal salts are very very bad salt since their levels are so high? not good for reef perhaps?

Last edited:

rayn

Bluefin Believer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Higher doesn't hurt, except maybe in a ULNS. Calcium that high won't hurt. May help keep certain tanks from having to dose anything.

If they are that high and one doesn't dose. Goes a week and consistently changes water. Then the levels may fluctuate a bit, but always will be in a decent range without going to low.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Being a bit high is not "very very bad". Calcium in the range of 400-550 is hardly noticeable, and many tanks lose alkalinity so fast than an extra 0.25 dKH from a water change won't cause a problem.

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Being a bit high is not "very very bad". Calcium in the range of 400-550 is hardly noticeable, and many tanks lose alkalinity so fast than an extra 0.25 dKH from a water change won't cause a problem.

I agree. Ca depletes depending on how much you have in your tank. I've had times when I had to dose Ca daily.

erk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently switched from Brightwells to RSCP salt. I have noticed that it's been easier to keep stable levels. I'm still dosing the same amount of 2 part as I did with Brightwells. Still a bit early to make a final decision on RSCP, but so far its helped me with stability. With Brightwells, it was difficult keeping my alk and ca stable. I kept getting fluctuations that would upset the corals. Since switching to RSCP in the last 2 weeks, I'm no longer seeing the corals bothered by the fluctuations. One frag that STN'd to almost nothing stopped with just a small patch left. I'm hoping it recovers now.

TL/DR, RSCP has reduced the sensitivity of my system, making it more manageable. Its also cheaper than Brightwells.

kevensquint

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen most salts lab analysis since a local reefer can do ICP testing and did. The reefcrystals contains very high Alk and higher than average levels of metals ( including copper). It also contains something like EDTA which binds the metals to reduce toxicity. But everyone using it around here, dumped it following seeing the ICP analysis. I would say anything is likely better than reefcrystals. IO is actually very good, as is H2Ocean

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Who/what is ICP?
Not that my own reef keeping success matters much to you. But I've been using RC for almost 6yrs and have not witnessed any adverse effects on my corals/clam/fish. Many of my corals have been with me for better than 5yrs.
Another thing I see people complaining about is RC residue and slow at mixing. In 5yrs I experienced residue and it was completely harmless. I also allow my salt to mix for at least 24hrs, so no issues there either.
Show me a crappy tank based on the effects of using RC, please.

Last edited:

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never measured an alk of 13 on RC and I've been using it probably 5 years straight. I get 9-10 dkh mixed at 1.026 with Hanna, Salifert or API. The calcium and mag on that chart is about right.

Last edited:

kevensquint

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used RC too without issue. But on paper, it didn't look very close to actual NSW. It was the most skewed along with RSCP. Of course, that boosted in elements thing is RSCP selling point. I currently mix about 30% IO to 70% H2Ocean pro with good results. Although anyone with every salt mix can do well. I prefer to have confidence in its chemical makeup as well

HexaReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm Very late to the party, but I started 4 years ago with IO because it was cheap. At the same time my buddy started with RC because it was also cheap. I switched to RSCP after my tank cycled and my tank has been flourishing while my buddies tank has been pretty stagnant. I've seen a huge increase in growth since switching over 3 1/2 years ago, but a lot of it has to do with lighting as well.

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would love to hear more thoughts. I also have a few reefers in my areas that have the nicest tanks I have ever seen testify for RSCP. I am currently using Reef Crystals and am considering switching.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no "magic" in salt. Salt is salt among the major manufacturers. 90% of the reef of the months have run regular old purple box IO.

Pick one that fits your wallet, or pick one that fits the specs you keep your tank at.

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly I have been digging through threads about RSCP & IO, and have only heard some negative things about IO. First many people talk about particulates that are always left over in the water. Using IO for 15 years now I can testify this has always happened. Second, I have now heard many claims that RSCP dissolves much faster, and is more readily available when mixing. Third I have heard from quite a few separate threads from people who check the new salt water levels that IO salt is not consistent with the paramets. FOURTH I have heard that RSCP actually comes from the Ocean while the other salts are manufactured??

Honestly I could keep going.. You could give a virtuoso guitarist the crappiest guitar in a shop, and he would still make amazing music out of it. Just because we have amazing tanks with all forms of salt, doesn't mean some salt is lesser or higher in quality.

My IO bucket is about done. I have been teetering on the edge to continue with IO, or just get RSCP. After watching BRS breakdown video on how much you are actually getting for your $: it shows that RCSP is actually more affordable than IO. Thus I am pretty sure I am bout to switch. I actually dont see any reason to stay with IO..

Back