At wits end - QT just will not support SPS

TinpanVA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a small 12x12x12 (7 gallon) rimless tank I set up just over 10 months ago as a QT for my corals. I've managed to catch red bugs and flat worms in the past by trading corals so I thought it was high time to get one set up to protect the display tank. Problem is, SPS close up, slowly (weeks) starve and die. The system has a small HOB filter (sponge, rubble, and carbon) a heater, and a DIY Rapid LED light.

When I set the tank up I used water from the display in hopes it would speed up the process, I still got a small cycle however. Once the tank had settled in, I placed "test" frags in to see how they would do. As mentioned above, polyps would retract, loss of color, death. The first correction I tried was stop using fresh made salt water, I use red sea coral pro salt and since there was nothing in the tank to consume the alk and calk it was starting to rise quite a bit above the normal range so I started just using a gallon of my display water while I was doing my weekly water change. This helped the calk and alk levels but caused the no3 to rise because during this time I had high nitrates (16 ppm) in the display. Corals in the display were fine so I wasn't all that worried about the no3. More test frags more death.

Next thing I started looking at was perhaps the flow from the HOB wasn't enough for the SPS, so I added a spare mp-10 I had in storage. More test frags, more death. I checked for stray voltage, not exactly sure how to interpret those so I just replace the heater with a new one just in case. Here is the thread with those readings if someone wants to look them over Interpreting Stray Voltage

The next thing I try is with the LEDs, I'm thinking well maybe those aren't strong enough for SPS. I pull out my old HQI light for the bio cube with a 150w 14k phoenix bulb. Bulb was only 6 months old so should be good to go. More test frags, more death. I got to thinking maybe it was too powerful so I went and got another LED fixture and it's been on there ever since. I 'll have to look later at who makes it and the specs, but the LFS that loaned it to me was growing SPS under it just fine.

The only other thing I could think of was a closer look at water parameters, this actually surprised me a little, as I mentioned above, I'm using display water that have very stable #'s as my water change water. Things like calc and alk which test fine on water change day were dropping out to low levels by the end of the week. With no coral at all in the tank to consume those I would have thought water changes alone would be good enough for the QT. Calc would start at 460-470 and drop to 370 by weeks end. Alk would start at 8.5-9.5 and drop to 6.1 at the lowest but usually 6.5-7 dkh. I tried adding a large chunk of live rock hoping that would somehow stabilize things but it didn't. Now I'm dosing by hand twice a day and maintaining a 420ca and 8-8.5 dkh reading. Other reading are stable, 1.026 salt, pH very close to display tank at 8-8.1, temp stays at 78, no ammonia.

I do get a stringy brownish algae in the QT, I've been told it's normal for a new tank to get this and it is supposedly bacterial? I'm assuming it should be gone by now since the tank is 10 months old, but the LFS reminded my I recently added that large chunk of live rock so maybe thats true.

Other things worth noting is if I remove the frag from the QT and put it back in the display, it will recover, polyps come back out and colors come back. I've also tried Zoas and mushrooms. The zoas will die if left in the QT for a month, and the one I removed and put back into the display is alive, but will not grow any further, still one polyp and has been back in the display 3 months. I put in 4 mushrooms on frags and 3 have died, the one left in the QT is faded, not growing or expanding during the day like most mushrooms do, but still alive and been in there since Aug of last year. I added a new test frag 2 weeks ago (birdnest and NoTG) both have faded, retracted polyps. Saturday I removed the HOB filter (the only other electrical gadget) hoping that may have been the issue.

I do weekly water changes, weekly water testing, I keep an on-line log if someone wants to look at these let me know I'll provide a link. Water test was done Saturday and here are the results; Temp 78, 1.026, 420 ca, 7.89 dkh, 8.09 pH., 0 No3, 0 Po4. No3 was 2ppm week or so ago, but still dialing in the carbon dosing. The water change water from the display had .75 ppm No3 so there should be a trace amount in there now. While I was lowering the No3 in the display the No3 was reducing in the QT as well since that is the source of my water.

I am truly at wits end, I'm out of things to try, the tank was used, but know the guy that had it and he kept SPS in there. I, like most humans, can get tunnel vision when trying to figure things out, so I'm hoping for some ideas before I pitch the thing over the fence.

Last edited:

LILBUDDHA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would imagine most nano type protein skimmers wet skim . The calcium and alk are being depleted by the skimmer . Have you tried using siporax or ceramic media to support more bioload ? I have used some sponges for seeding my QT tank . I place a new sponge in my sump and let it sit there for a week or two . I then wring it out above the QT Tank . I know it's seeded since it turns the water brownish . I do this twice over two weeks but leave it in the tank QT the second time . I used a HOB filter . I also used a small cheap internal filter for water movement . Nothing fancy . No protein skimmer was used . I did 50% water changes every two weeks . I can't remember if i had one live rock in the tank but I think I did .
I had no problems keeping the coral in the 10 gallon QT tank lit with a Sunbrite slim s 50 watt led unit .Cree xpg n xpe and it had a maximum full on ramp time of 4 hours . I had z's n p's , sps (yes acro's ) and lps in there on blue grow racks .

Last edited:
OP
OP
TinpanVA

TinpanVA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No skimmer in the QT. The HOB had the ceramic pellets that are supposed to support healthy bacteria.

Not sure if it's important, but I have a very healthy supply of pods in the QT. Lil buggers climbing all over place. Especially between the magnets to keep the glass clean.

Mike&Terry

Wrasses, Angels, & Tangs, Oh My!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First thing we suspect is the fact that the qt tank was used prior to you getting it. If everything you put in is dying, there may be some chemical contaminate in the tank that is poisoning the water column. Where is the qt located? Is it possible that some contaminates are getting into the qt? Example would be in a garage where you park a car (exhaust fumes).

Secondly, it is very curious that the calc and alk levels are dropping so drastically in the qt. Those levels should remain fairly stable without some sort of uptake or consumption occurring - Calc ions and Alk levels should not be dropping via evaporation. Are you getting any kind of calcareous algae growth in the tank or in the filter? What is in the filter? GAC? Pellets? Are they new or used?

Third - as you know, SPS health is all about stability. If your test frags are coming from your system, they will do best with water params that match your system. Otherwise, there is no reason why a frag would not do well with fresh salt mix, per se. It is more about the ion levels in that salt mix, rather than it coming from an "established system".

Lastly, you didn't mention your fresh water topoff method. What are you doing there? How frequently are you topping off? If the salinity is swinging due to evaporation, all the ions in the qt water column are swinging with it, so you'll need to watch that closely, and maintain a steady salinity level.

OP
OP
TinpanVA

TinpanVA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll try and answer these in order.
Tank is located between kitchen and dining room on the bar.

Tank came from selt (kevin) and near as I can remember he had no issues.
I'm blown away by the Calc and alk also. Water changes should be enough.
I have (had) quite a bit of coraline in on the large frag rack, but that was removed when I placed the large chunk of live rock in there. It's just starting to grow on the rock.
The filter contained a sponge, ceramic pellets that came with filter to promote bacteria growth and I added a small amount if carbon (2 tbls in a bag)
I started using tank water to make it more like the reef tank, shooting for stability. Plus the RSCP has a high level of Calc and alk.
I have an RODI setup, filter changed regularly. I top off (by hand) every morning. Goes through about 2 cups a day.

Last edited:
OP
OP
TinpanVA

TinpanVA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a few club guys come by and look at it, said it looked like a voltage issue which is why I replaced the heater and now removed the filter.

OP
OP
TinpanVA

TinpanVA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First thing we suspect is the fact that the qt tank was used prior to you getting it. If everything you put in is dying, there may be some chemical contaminate in the tank that is poisoning the water column.

I've worried about this a time or two myself. The only thing I can think of he may have used something odd the clean the tank when he sold it to me.

Mike&Terry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No skimmer in the QT. The HOB had the ceramic pellets that are supposed to support healthy bacteria.
Were you doing any regular maintenance on the HOB filter? The sponge can become a nitrate factory. To avoid this, rinse it gently n tank water to remove excess nutrients, detritus, etc., as part of your weekly water change maintenance.

Not sure if it's important, but I have a very healthy supply of pods in the QT. Lil buggers climbing all over place. Especially between the magnets to keep the glass clean.

That's a good sign.

It wouldn't hurt to test your parameters about an hour after your daily top-off and then again the next day just before you topoff and compare the results.

Of course an auto top-off would be the best option, but if that is not feasible, perhaps performing 2 or 3 manual top-offs per day, rather than adding 16oz of fresh ro/di all at once would help reduce the potential for parameter swings.

OP
OP
TinpanVA

TinpanVA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Were you doing any regular maintenance on the HOB filter? The sponge can become a nitrate factory. To avoid this, rinse it gently n tank water to remove excess nutrients, detritus, etc., as part of your weekly water change

Yeah, I rinse that out weekly in the water thats removed from the tank. I also give the bag of rubble/pellets a good shake in the water also. I change out the carbon every other week.

OP
OP
TinpanVA

TinpanVA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It wouldn't hurt to test your parameters about an hour after your daily top-off and then again the next day just before you topoff and compare the results.

I can certainly do that, should I test calc alk and salinity? Anything else? I can easily change my ATO to doing it by hand twice a day, I'm already dosing 2x daily. I could just do it then.

Going back to the rapid depletion of calc and alk, this stands out as abnormal to me as well. As I recall, my 29 bio-cube had to be dosed pretty early on as well, now-a-days it needs dosed because its packed. But back then it was mostly softies. Could there be something with the water even though I use an RODI? As you know, I'm pretty anal about my tank, and the RODI is no different. I have reminders set up to change filters on a schedule. Even the monthly backflush is on a reminder.

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Auto top off would help IMO. Also just running a little bigger QT would just make life so much easier. I'd never want to try to maintain a tank that small.

jdl513

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just throwing a couple of random thoughts out there.

How are you dosing the Ca and Alk?
If concentrated solutions maybe try adding them by alternating dilutions in your top off water?
Given the small volume a concentrated solution could be precipitating before it has a chance to disperse.

Where is the QT tank located?
If it close to a gas heat HVAC system there could be an increase in CO2 which when the furnace is running.
If close enough the impact could be enough lower the pH driving the precipitation of CaCO3.

OP
OP
TinpanVA

TinpanVA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just throwing a couple of random thoughts out there.

How are you dosing the Ca and Alk?
If concentrated solutions maybe try adding them by alternating dilutions in your top off water?
Given the small volume a concentrated solution could be precipitating before it has a chance to disperse.

Where is the QT tank located?
If it close to a gas heat HVAC system there could be an increase in CO2 which when the furnace is running.
If close enough the impact could be enough lower the pH driving the precipitation of CaCO3.

It's the same solutions I use in my dosing pumps for the display. BRS dry powder thats mixed into small containers. Using a total of 4ml of calc and 6ml of alk solution.

There are no hvac diffusers anywhere close by, tank is on a bar and all diffusers are floor type.

QT-S_zpsa1f3fcc7.jpg

The picture is a little old, the rack has been removed and replaced with live rock. I have 2 small magnet mounted racks now. I was hoping the live rock would help things.

Last edited:
OP
OP
TinpanVA

TinpanVA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, and I almost forgot. I've also added a lawnmower blenny and a fire shrimp to the QT. I was thinking the poop would be a good coral food and would help the corals that were closing up. They have been in there for months and show no ill effects.

LILBUDDHA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's really strange to have those parameter's since RSCP is like 440 ca n 12 dkh @1.025 (fresh batch ) .So how did the stray voltage test come out ? U stated u replaced a heater so I guess u saw something with a voltmeter . BTW nice QT tank.

OP
OP
TinpanVA

TinpanVA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did put a voltmeter on it, but not sure what the reading ment. There's a link to them above. Since I wasn't sure, I just replaced it. Can always use a spare heater anyway.

Mike&Terry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can certainly do that, should I test calc alk and salinity? Anything else? I can easily change my ATO to doing it by hand twice a day, I'm already dosing 2x daily. I could just do it then.

I would also test magnesium.

OP
OP
TinpanVA

TinpanVA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MG is high, it's dropping but I had it up to 1680 to fight bryopsis. The display was down to 1280ish on Saturday.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, it is normal for water changes to be unable to maintain alkalinity unless you change on the order of 30% per day.

Have you ever measured ammonia in this tank when corals are in it?

OP
OP
TinpanVA

TinpanVA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That makes me feel alot better. As far as ammonia goes, I only test for it now and then. Can't say I specifically recall a test with corals. I have 2 corals in now and can check it.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back