Help with low ph due to high cO2

Eckolancer

LED GURU
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy have a question about your article on PH Low pH: Causes and Cures by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

I am having issues lately with lower PH from my c02 reactor and house being closed up tite. I'm thinking about running a small line outside to help. But my concern is my area does spray for Mosquitos in the summer. You mentioned using a carbon filter outside. Can you point me to what you are exactly talking about? Also how often should the carbon be replaced on that filter? Would I benefit more if I bought a lot of household plants to absorb the co2? Only reason I say that is that I'm going to half to drill a hole in the wall to the outside.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plants can't help sufficiently unless you have the tank in a big greenhouse. Think of it this way; the plants would have to add as much tissue as your family eats food and exhales the CO2 from each day (and that ignores gas stoves, CaCO3/CO2 reactors, etc.).

Some folks are successful with the line to outside and some not. It depends on how much the tank top aerates relative to the skimmer you are using.

I'd look up CO2 scrubbers. Not only are they a possibility (it is a CO2 absorbing media put on the skimmer inlet with a pump), but that same setup will work if you put GAC in it using outside air, with the GAC absorbing organics from the air.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.2%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.4%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 31 18.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 69 41.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%

Back