What do I need to test in water?

reptileguy112

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 40g reef with a snowflake, a zoa w/ 4 polys, and a condy (I want to add more corals). The tank is cycled but I want to know what I need to test in the water. The tetra 6 in 1 strip tests Ph, nitrate, nitrite, hardness, alkalinity, and chlorine. I have looked at different test kits that say water hardness and carbonate test and calcium test and I was wondering if one test means the same thing as the other. For example it seems like water hardness and calcium is the same thing, this is confusing. :noidea:

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to test doe he following:
Nitrates
Phosphates
Calcium
Magnesium
Alkalinity
Specific Gravity (salinity)
Temperature

The strips aren't accurate enough for saltwater. Here's what I use:

Nitrates, Calcium and Magnesium - Salifert

Alkalinity and Phosphates: Hanna checkers

Specific Gravity: I highly recommend a refractometer over a hydrometer. They're much more accurate.

How old is the tank?

OP
OP
R

reptileguy112

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for late reply, the tank is 4 months old I think. My anemone and over 10 frags died which is way to much money fro me to loose. I also had 2 damsels and a green chromis die after I did a water change that was to big. The current stock is a snowflake eel that I have had the majority of the time, some crabs, and a little snail thing that buries itself and pokes a little tube out of the sand. I have things to test ph, nitrate, and salinity but nothing else. The ammonia test I had weren't accurate. I want to try to add some purple pulsing xenia I found for buy one get one free $1 per stalk and only $10 a colony.

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 40g reef with a snowflake, a zoa w/ 4 polys, and a condy (I want to add more corals). The tank is cycled but I want to know what I need to test in the water. The tetra 6 in 1 strip tests Ph, nitrate, nitrite, hardness, alkalinity, and chlorine. I have looked at different test kits that say water hardness and carbonate test and calcium test and I was wondering if one test means the same thing as the other. For example it seems like water hardness and calcium is the same thing, this is confusing. :noidea:

Water hardness is for freshwater only so you don't have to worry about that.

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrate test will be in mail tommorw, ph. is 8.6 and salinity is 1.026

You'll also need mg and ca. Did you say you had an alkalinity test yet? Knowing those three numbers and keeping them in balance is key to success with corals. Also, do you know what happened that you lost the corals?

OP
OP
R

reptileguy112

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, it was tap. I used conditioner and let it sit for 48 hours because I don't have an ro filter. The anemone died within a couple days and the zoas have not opened. Is it okay if I use phosphoric acid to lower the ph if it ever creeps to high? Also is a mg test really important? I thought you just needed ca.

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, it was tap. I used conditioner and let it sit for 48 hours because I don't have an ro filter. The anemone died within a couple days and the zoas have not opened. Is it okay if I use phosphoric acid to lower the ph if it ever creeps to high? Also is a mg test really important? I thought you just needed ca.

Yes mg is very important. Mg, Ca and alkalinity all work together and need to be monitored if you want to keep coral. There are some great articles in the Reef Chemistry forum if you want to learn more about how they work together. You also need to fully understand the nitrogen cycle. Also I wouldn't buy any more coral until you can buy a RODI unit or find a store where you can buy it prepared. Tap water can be full of all sorts of stuff that are bad for your livestock. I wouldn't use phosphoric acid. It might be a good idea to get some good books on starting a saltwater tank so you can have a successful experience. Also, ask a lot of questions here. That's how I learned. Good luck!

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there anything alive in the tank right now? That is a lot of nitrates.

OP
OP
R

reptileguy112

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a 5 gallon water change with the di water. Zoas opened. I got the nitrates down to 40 with the vodka! Nothing died exept for the anemone which has been dead. Here are all of the results.
Nitrate-40ppm
Nitrite-3 ppm
Alk-80
Ph-8.3
Total Hardness-300-1000 (thats is not specific at all)
Specific Gravity-1.0255
Temp-76F

OP
OP
R

reptileguy112

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The skimmer I am making is just a simple bubbler with an air stone (i will order an air limewood block) that bubbles up a bottle into a little catch. I will post a thread on how to make one, I am waiting for silicone to cure.

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a 5 gallon water change with the di water. Zoas opened. I got the nitrates down to 40 with the vodka! Nothing died exept for the anemone which has been dead. Here are all of the results.
Nitrate-40ppm
Nitrite-3 ppm
Alk-80
Ph-8.3
Total Hardness-300-1000 (thats is not specific at all)
Specific Gravity-1.0255
Temp-76F

If you still have nitrites, the tank is still cycling. I've never done vodka dosing but have heard it can be tricky. Hopefully someone with more experience in that area can chime in. I would take it very slow until tanks stabilize.

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still cycling? Its about 4 months old.

It doesn't matter how long the tank has been up. Nitrites means the tank is cycling. Maybe it was cycled and then went into another cycle when the anemone died because of excess ammonia. Nevertheless, go by the numbers. That's the best way to be sure.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 64 85.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.0%
Back