OP
AJI23

AJI23

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just ordered a gallon of bicarbonate. I hope this works. My whole display has a white film on the glass from precipitation. I cleaned it all off with a razor. 2 hrs later looks like I never cleaned it. I just read your whole article on precipitation and what causes it. My ph is around 8.5 before I dose. So it must be the high ph that causing the precipitation. Do you think if I vinegar dose will help with this. Or should I just add some arm and hammer baking soda to help out till my delivery comes. I don't know what I'm going to do with all this soda ash I have left over. I have like 3-4 gallons. Maybe I could mix the 2. Would that help out if I mix them both. And what would be the ratio for that.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pH shouldn't be that high unless the alkalinity is higher than you think, or you do not have enough aeration.

Switching to bicarbonate will help lower the pH a bit with each dose, but CO2 (via aeration and photosynthesis/respiration) and the alkalinity level are what ultimately set the pH. :)

OP
OP
AJI23

AJI23

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know what. I recently made a change in sump. My ph used to stay around 8.25 But I wanted to try to eliminate some noise in my sump from hearing the water crash into my sock. So I extended the two 1 1/2 pvc pipes to be slightly under the water in my sump. That made a slight improvement in noise. But to come to think about it my ph is higher than normal. It used to stay around 8.25. And now it's at 8.5. I will remove these extensions and see if this helps with the co2.
What do you think.

OP
OP
AJI23

AJI23

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No they are on the complete opposite side. Located by the return pump. I made a new order from brs. Ordered calibration fluid and bicarbonate. Should arrive on sat or Monday.

OP
OP
AJI23

AJI23

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another question. How much arm n hammer baking soda do I use to make 1 gallon of alkalinity solution. And how much of that solution will raise 1 dkh.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right from Randy's Recipe HERE:

Recipe #2, Part 2: The Alkalinity Part

Dissolve 297 grams of baking soda (about 1 1/8 cups) in enough water to make 1 gallon total. This dissolution may require a fair amount of mixing. Warming it speeds dissolution. This solution will contain about 950 meq/L of alkalinity (2660 dKH). As mentioned earlier, Arm & Hammer is a fine brand of baking soda to use in these recipes.

OP
OP
AJI23

AJI23

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1426730607.142093.jpg
this is out of control. This is one day of precipitation.

OP
OP
AJI23

AJI23

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a update. So for 2 days I been dosing with baking soda. And I have no sign of precipitation. My ph probe failed while recalibrating. I ordered a new one arriving Monday. Thanks for the help. I will continue to update for those experiences same problem.

OP
OP
AJI23

AJI23

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still no precipitation but I still can't keep my levels where I want them. They Stay around 6.5-7.0 alk and 405-410 cal. And I'm at 15 min 12x a day at 1.1mls per min on both. I do t want to keep raising. Maybe this is the levels it wants to stay at. I'd like 8 and 420. But it doesn't seem to drop below the 6.4 or 400 mark.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back