How much gfo in reactor for a 12g nano

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got the TLF phosban 150 reactor for my nano and want to make sure I know what I'm doing before setting it up. I know you're supposed to start with less gfo. The directions say 1g/gallon and I have probably 9-10g taking into acct displacement by live rock. I have a sensitive scale to measure it. Should I start with half of that amount? Also, with such a small amount I'm assuming that the water flow should be kept pretty low so it won't tumble out of control. Any help would be appreciated!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Half that amount sounds like a good starting point.

The flow need not be especially low due to the amount if GFO, but low since the tank volume is low is good so things do not drop too fast.

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Half that amount sounds like a good starting point.

The flow need not be especially low due to the amount if GFO, but low since the tank volume is low is good so things do not drop too fast.

Thanks. The LFS said to keep the gfo in the media bag but the instructions say not to. What do you recommend?

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've not used a phosban reactor, but in a BRS reactor I do not use a media bag and don't generally recommend them in GFO reactors.

I didn't think so. I added 5g (1/2 the suggested amount), which was less than one tablespoon! You can barely see it in the reactor but what little is there is moving around. Thanks so much for all your help. I really appreciate it!!!!

Lilmatty5dimes

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a 7.5g tank and only had a 1 tablespoon of gfo in a media bag sitting in a aqua clear filter and it did wonderful. I'm about to do it with the 12g I've got now when I do a water change. BRS has a gfo calculator that I followed and for 10g use 2 tablespoons.

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's better to use less and the next time you change it add a lil bit more until you get your PO4 down.

Yes that's what I'm told so I used half. Problem is it's all sitting in the bottom sponge there's so little of it. If I tap the bottom of the reactor it floats up a little, but then it settles back in the sponge. Is this a problem?

Lilmatty5dimes

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes that's what I'm told so I used half. Problem is it's all sitting in the bottom sponge there's so little of it. If I tap the bottom of the reactor it floats up a little, but then it settles back in the sponge. Is this a problem?
Try giving it a lil more flow. It should have a bit of a tumble.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have it on as high as it will go. I can tell the water's moving. Maybe it's because I used so little. Is this a problem?

I doubt it is a problem with that tiny amount. :)

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Temp 78
pH: 7.7
Phosphates: 0.0. yeah baby!
NO3: 4ppm
Mg: 1380ppm
Ca: 400ppm
SG: 1.023
Alk: 166ppm

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Next time I would add a lil less so you don't starve your coral. They do need a lil PO4 and nitrates. But looks like it's work.

Ok. There's still algae in the tank so I know there's some po4 in there. I only added 6g, which was less than a tbsp!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 75 86.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.4%
Back