Calcium and alkalinity

fishmaster818

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whats the difference between dosing part a and b and dosing calcium and alkalinity

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure which part a and b you mean, but the difference between dosing a two part and just dosing calcium and alkalinity is that a two part, when used properly in equal amounts, does not skew other ions in the water, while simple dosing of calcium and alkalinity can allow sodium and chloride to rise and magnesium, potassium, and sulfate to drop. A two part typically has these other ions in it.

I discuss such issues here:

The Many Methods for Supplementing Calcium and Alkalinity - REEFEDITION

OP
OP
fishmaster818

fishmaster818

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure which part a and b you mean, but the difference between dosing a two part and just dosing calcium and alkalinity is that a two part, when used properly in equal amounts, does not skew other ions in the water, while simple dosing of calcium and alkalinity can allow sodium and chloride to rise and magnesium, potassium, and sulfate to drop. A two part typically has these other ions in it.

I discuss such issues here:

The Many Methods for Supplementing Calcium and Alkalinity - REEFEDITION

Im using brightwelll reef code

OP
OP
fishmaster818

fishmaster818

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Part a and b dosing

I am still confuse about a and b dosing. Im using reef code from brightwell. I do understand that you have to ad an equal amount of both but i dont know what to do if i need to raise just calcium.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In an ideal world you need to add equal amounts of A and B.....but our tanks aren't ideal. Different brands of salt have differing quanities of alk and calc, so you'd need to adjust the amount of A or B to get to were you wish to go.

OP
OP
fishmaster818

fishmaster818

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In an ideal world you need to add equal amounts of A and B.....but our tanks aren't ideal. Different brands of salt have differing quanities of alk and calc, so you'd need to adjust the amount of A or B to get to were you wish to go.

Can i add just a for calcium or will it not work unless i use both

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dose calc to bring it up to where you want it and then start dosing both (not necessarily same volumes) to maintain the levels you wish. Calc can be raised relatively quickly....alk, you need to do that slowly (no more than 1 dkh/day).

OP
OP
fishmaster818

fishmaster818

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dose calc to bring it up to where you want it and then start dosing both (not necessarily same volumes) to maintain the levels you wish. Calc can be raised relatively quickly....alk, you need to do that slowly (no more than 1 dkh/day).

Okay my alk is where i want it. Will calcium raise if i dont dose both part and just dose a

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 98 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%

Back