ph 8.0 alk 14 how do i raise ph without raising alk

Jimbo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ph pf 8.0 is fine, don't worry about it.

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NSW Alk is close to half of where you are at.
What's going on? You sure that is correct? Why so high? What's your calcium?
ph of 8.0 is perfectly fine.

LetItReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure you are reading the test results correctly. Those period and zeros written can be misleading. Check your Calcium too.

OP
OP
S

stgawne

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was 17 2 months ago because i use to use a marine buffer everytime i did a water change once per week. Now i use seachem balance which is suppose to raise ph and not alk. so i use this in my ro water but now my ph dropped a bit used to always be 8.3

OP
OP
S

stgawne

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my ph went from 8.3 to 8.0 and my alk went from 17 to 14. Should i just assume it will go down on its own? Mag and cal both perfect.... i use reef crystals for my salt

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was 17 2 months ago because i use to use a marine buffer everytime i did a water change once per week. Now i use seachem balance which is suppose to raise ph and not alk. so i use this in my ro water but now my ph dropped a bit used to always be 8.3

That is DEFINITELY not true. It is chemically impossible for an additive to boost pH and not alkalinity.

More aeration with fresher air will raise the pH, however, when the alk is that high.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my ph went from 8.3 to 8.0 and my alk went from 17 to 14. Should i just assume it will go down on its own? Mag and cal both perfect.... i use reef crystals for my salt

Alk will go down on its own if there is any calcification going on in the tank. :)

OP
OP
S

stgawne

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a ton of coral so i will open a window for a few hours. I'm in Michigan so its been a while. :) seachem balance says raises ph wi th out affecting alk....only product i could find

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a ton of coral so i will open a window for a few hours. I'm in Michigan so its been a while. :) seachem balance says raises ph wi th out affecting alk....only product i could find

Yes, Aquavitro Balance claims that, or something like it.

I don't know if they intend to mislead folks, or simply don't understand their own products. Neither answer is very satisfying. :)

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What should i use when mixing up my salt in ro water to raise ph to 8.3? Just the buffer?

Nothing. NOT buffer. The alk in salt mixes is already plenty high. Fresh air or nothing. The pH of the new salt mix won't impact the tank pH noticeably except for a short time after a big water change.

Malevolent

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a prime example: PH is low and Alk is high. I live in Alaska and right now it’s negative 16 degrees Fahrenheit. Leaving a door/window isn’t an option. A quick way to test if it’s a co2 issue is to simple take some tank water and set it outside (with a heater) and test it. Also, check your RO and saltwater mix with a reliable test kit/instrument.
C6B8617E-FCC7-4E5F-A56D-AF5235088D2D.png

Back